shot size goose and duck

islandgun

I'm sure this is old hat to the experienced fowlers on here but here goes anyway, I've recently noticed a good number of Teal in this area when out at dusk in pursuit of Geese. My dilemma is how to load my sxs, i have 6's in copper and 3's in hevi and try and load the copper in both barrels when expecting duck and hevi when expecting geese, obviously when i have loaded for duck, geese will appear and vice-versa, I have loaded one of each at a time but feel i wouldn't have the correct back up shot if needed, i am considering taking two guns but have never seen anyone doing it, what does everyone else do ?

A quick swap if possible, but it can be a bit, in, out, in, out, shake it all about.

With you option you have, I'd think about taking the ten loaded for goose and the 12 loaded for duck, depending on how far you got to lug them.

I'm sure this is old hat to the experienced fowlers on here but here goes anyway, I've recently noticed a good number of Teal in this area when out at dusk in pursuit of Geese. My dilemma is how to load my sxs, i have 6's in copper and 3's in hevi and try and load the copper in both barrels when expecting duck and hevi when expecting geese, obviously when i have loaded for duck, geese will appear and vice-versa, I have loaded one of each at a time but feel i wouldn't have the correct back up shot if needed, i am considering taking two guns but have never seen anyone doing it, what does everyone else do ?

Edited by Penelope

I'd agree with Penelope, the "fumbled swap" is usual with the sxs but I do on occasion take two guns, depending on location/conditions. With the steel proofed S/A it's an easy call of 31/2" No3 steel for either duck or goose as opposed to my preferred 23/4" 5's for teal and 31/2" 1's for geese.

Saying that i've shot teal with 1's and Canadas with 5's this season.

Get practicing that "two spare/alternate cartridges grasped in the knuckles of your left hand whilst shooting" something i've never managed to achieve even off the foreshore...

I'd probably shoot a steel cartridge that would be slight overkill for the duck and slight "under-kill" for the geese and just limit my range.. Perhaps a ~36g steel 2?

Thats what I do, well to a point, Remington sportsman 2s in my 10 do the job for me. Not underkill on the geese though, kills them as good as any BB I have used

Personally i can't get my head around the " take 2 gun's " advice.

Put 32grm of Steel Shot sizes 2-3 and 4's you will cleanly kill Geese even Canada's out to 40yrd.

Just because Geese my occur during a Duck flight don't mean you have to bang away outside your personal comfort zone.

I regularly go Ducking ( 2-3 times a week) morning and evening flight and my gun of choice is 20ga using 7/8oz Steel 4'shot. Quarry is anything from Snipe to Canada Geese. If any of the Quarry is outside my Comfort/capabilities then i don't shoot BUT Snipe or Canada within my zone if i do my bit they will be killed cleanly.

Short version take a gun and cartridges you are confident with an shoot Duck or Goose 👍

Good advice above ! I used to swap out cartridges in my auto, what a pain ! Then moved to a browning waterfowl , still swapping out loads.

Gave up on that this week, used gamebore 3inch 3s , shot ducks and pinks on a very good flight, without even thinking of swapping a load out .

Sounds a Cracking flight mate well done 👏👍

I do enjoy the mixed Goose and Duck successful flights 👍

Personally i can't get my head around the " take 2 gun's " advice.

Put 32grm of Steel Shot sizes 2-3 and 4's you will cleanly kill Geese even Canada's out to 40yrd.

Just because Geese my occur during a Duck flight don't mean you have to bang away outside your personal comfort zone.

I regularly go Ducking ( 2-3 times a week) morning and evening flight and my gun of choice is 20ga using 7/8oz Steel 4'shot. Quarry is anything from Snipe to Canada Geese. If any of the Quarry is outside my Comfort/capabilities then i don't shoot BUT Snipe or Canada within my zone if i do my bit they will be killed cleanly.

Short version take a gun and cartridges you are confident with an shoot Duck or Goose

thanks for the advice everyone, my gun of choice is an English sxs which im not keen to use steel in, as in op i have 3s and 6s in non toxic the 3s are eshot and considered to be "as lead" ( a bit heavier). I have patterned them but wonder if the pattern isnt a little open for teal (i have yet to have shot a teal) although I have taken mallard, I guess the large size shot if it came into contact with a teal would be terminal, whereas I wouldn't try the 6s on a greylag, I will carry on with the 3s and if missing the teal will use the 6s and carry two guns, cheers IG

I'd like a £ for every goose I've killed with 6 shot and smaller.

I personally believe you are over complicating things.

Go Teal/Duck shooting with your favorite Gun/Cartridge combination IF Mr and Mrs Greylag comes along deal with it just the same as you would a Teal the result will ensure one/two dead Geese.

Geese are not Mythical Birds.The problems are (1) They get shot at out of Range (2) far to many get shot up the Butt End

Both things which gives the impression Geese are hard to kill which experienced Wildfowlers ( Goose Shooters ) know is rubbish

One or two folk on here will remember a great Wash wildfowler called Harold Elsegood. I can recall him saying that more geese dodged the gravy and tates because of chaps fumbling to put their special cartridges in than for any other reason.

His advice was to keep down, keep still, and shoot whatever was in the gun.

One or two folk on here will remember a great Wash wildfowler called Harold Elsegood. I can recall him saying that more geese dodged the gravy and tates because of chaps fumbling to put their special cartridges in than for any other reason.

That statement certainly worked for me this week, was on a sandy shore far north, on the last piece of green on a point, laid just under a sill.

Dog just fitted in ! Flighting pinkfoots just after 6pm, used just gamebore solway 3s .

Had 5 pinks for my effort, think we can disappear up our own bottoms thinking of super special goose cartridges.

love it, it could be im looking for excuses for my own poor aim !

Think Boyd has it, don't over complicate things. Seems daft to take two guns but each to their own.

Stick with one cartridge or with a sxs it's fairly easy to swap a load. I keep duck carts in as generally geese give plenty of vocal warning when they are coming so plenty of time to swap out carts if needed. Having said that my first pink this year was shot while decoying teal with 32grm gamebore no4 steel.

God Rest His Soul

That man personally saw me over a good few years kill plenty of foreshore Geese using Duck Cartridges ?????? And in those days ( lead) i used Winchester Trap 200

I'd like a £ for every goose I've killed with 6 shot and smaller.

I personally believe you are over complicating things.

Go Teal/Duck shooting with your favorite Gun/Cartridge combination IF Mr and Mrs Greylag comes along deal with it just the same as you would a Teal the result will ensure one/two dead Geese.

Geese are not Mythical Birds.The problems are (1) They get shot at out of Range (2) far to many get shot up the Butt End

Both things which gives the impression Geese are hard to kill which experienced Wildfowlers ( Goose Shooters ) know is rubbish

I got to agree with it!!

Last saturday, while duck flighting at dusk, i missed 3 fairly easy geese due to overcomfidence with the purpose made shells (and an incident with the hide); an hour later, 4 challenging geese came along and i knocked one down with my 'light' loads.

Same this morning while crow/pigons shooting .... very few pigeons about but a flock of geese came in and decoyed beautifully amongst the pigeon so much so that i knocked 2 down with light 5 loads ...

Obviously at 40-50 yds that would have been more challenging ... but is it's been said: if it's too far away...don't shoot it and you will not end up cursing your ammo or gun :yes: