New ears!

CaptainBeaky

So, having stripped down the Higgins model 20 to see what horrors lay within, I discovered that the two little "ears" that locate the front of the trigger block had been broken off by a previous ham-fisted idiot, sorry, enthusiastic owner...

This resulted in noticeable vertical movement of the trigger mechanism - disconcerting, if not actually dangerous.

I had considered making up a spacer to lock the trigger block into the frame, but in a flush of inspiration it occurred to me to use metal repair putty...

Cleaned the broken ends

JCH_01.jpg

Drilled for supporting pegs

JCH_02.jpg

Pegs fitted (1.6 mm welding rod)

JCH_03.jpg

Putty applied

JCH_04.jpg

Pegs shaped

JCH_05.jpg

JCH_06.jpg

JCH_07.jpg

Polished down and reassembled

JCH_08.jpg

No movement in the trigger mech, and the action is as slick as before :D

Edited by CaptainBeaky

I have had some success with aluminium brazing, it doesn't seem too vicious with the heat, a few demos on YouTube. Shame the putty was not the product it purported to be. One small point, was it the genuine blue magic as I believe that there are a few bogus qwiksteel products out there

How to tell if it is genuine?

A combination of the above three suggestions looks viable: drill the centre of the peg it to a reasonable size, turn a round end onto a square bar to match said holes, file the square/round transition to match the angle of the break on the trigger block (see first photo), then silver solder or braze in place. Tbh, tig might be a better option if I can a. find the right rods and b. find something suitable to practice on. Just has to be very low current...

How to tell if it is genuine?

I believe (but don't quote me) that a sealed blister pack with the 'Blue Magic' brand is genuine, others such as 'cargo' and 'winplus' brands are a bit suspect, China as point of origin is also a pointer. 'Qwiksteel, spelt various ways seems to vary wildly in price

The 'ears' on my Squires Bingham are fortunately intact, although they do show some signs of abuse by previous owners.

I hope you manage a solid repair, I must confess I was hoping that your putty attempt was going to be successful as I have a couple of repairs and mods to make, but I guess that if it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't true.

I imagine that this product is probably good for ornaments and the like, but working tools, equipment and machinery create many stresses and strains that pull and push in all directions and will always need a real metal repair

Edited by impala59

Yes, blister pack with the Bluemagic logo, so probably genuine, but as you say, but quite strong enough in shear for this application .

Next thing to try, I think, will be building up the lugs with tig. Possibly with steel cores drilled in to add bending strength.

Just need to get some ally rods and some practice first!

Edited by CaptainBeaky

The problem with drilling and pegging/threading is that the lug is right on the edge of the block, so once the hole is drilled and tapped, there is barely half a mm of material there to support the thread on the outer face.

I'm beginning to see why the American guy that Mark mentioned in the Pump Club thread drilled and tapped the action body and put a cap head screw into each side!

For building up the lugs with TIG, ceriated electrodes will work as well as zirconated - a.c. would be better, but DCEP should work over the tiny weld pool required.

Thin peg and soldering a block on might be feasible, the problem is getting enough heat in to the solder joint without melting the rest of the block.

Or I could just drill through and put a roll pin in.

Interesting times...

Edited by CaptainBeaky

even ordinary solder used to hold those pegs in has plenty of strenght........just heat it up slowly and evenly....dont use a lead free solder use a flux cored LEAD solder...

as you and others have said...it might not be ali'....might be a magnesium alloy....so solder would proberly be better....get some temperature crayons...couple of blowlamps...and strip the block out completely..and just heat it up slowly.....tin the block peg holes when it gets to temperature and tin the pegs,,,and slide them in...then cool slowly.....

really interested in how you choose to do this..... :good::good:

melting point of silver solder 450 deg..

melting point of aluminium...660 deg

Edited by ditchman

I asked the question at work, specifically with a couple of lads one of whom is a coded welder of 35 years experience, the other being a machinist/artificer. They both said, "Don't do tig, you'll blow a hole right through it!" Both, however, mentioned Technoweld, also marketed as Durafix. Low temperature brazing solution for aluminium - offers a way of breaking through the oxide film and making a proper joint - this looks fairly viable, so I've ordered a pack, and will do some trials on scrap bits when it arrives. Watch this space...

John_R:

Yes, I've drilled for pegs, but slightly inboard of the position of the ears, so putty would most likely have the same issue when built up onto a bolt head.

Btw, it was Donkey who lost the retaining pin out of his MP153 - Don't know if he found it, bought another or got one made, but thanks for the kind thought :)

go back to the drilling out for pegs bit......drill 2 of the biggest holes you can for the parent block...then make 2 big pegs...square them off roughly...then silver solder them in place and file down with a smooth file and emerypaper............?

hello, have to agree with ditchman so good luck and hope you can get the shotgun working again for a few more years.

It works ok now - the trigger group just has a bit of vertical play!

The problem with soldering or brazing ali is the oxide film that forms almost instantly on a cut surface - aluminium is actually very reactive, but forms a hard oxide layer very rapidly in air. Hence soldering a peg in may be a problem, whereas a butt or lap joint would work.

Tig welding with a.c. gets around this as the electrode-positive part of the cycle blasts the oxide film off the surface (and heats up the tungsten more), while the electrode-negative part does most of the work heating up the job.

I'll do some test joints first, then I'll make the call as to how to make the repair.