great weather

islandgun

Sleet here in Norfolk in the showers this afternoon. I did think about an evenng flight , But a very cold wind with driving rain and sleet is not my idea of fun and as I can flight any day of the season and fowling with a mate on Monday with the same north wind forcast , minus the rain I opted to leave any shooting until then.

Edited by anser2

I don't mind the cold and strong winds, but I'm no fan of going out in heavy rain.

You surprise me Motty. I hadnt you down as a lightweight :)

I have to say i never quite understand all this talk about expensive Waterproof Fowling Jackets and neoprene waders' Then the amount of people who are afraid of a bit of rain :hmm:It only goes as far as the skin ye know :whistling:

I know at my most dedicated Hail,rain or Snow wouldnt deter me from Fowling. In fact I have had some memorable flights in heavy down pours. It still wouldnt stop me'Infact i would relish it.

Fowling aside' I get no pleasure at all Roughshooting in Heavy Rain.

Supergoose I am not afraid of a bit of rain, I have done my fare share of flights in it in the past, but there comes a time when I go shooting not so much to put a duck in the bag ( though its nice when it happens ) more to enjoy myself out on the marsh and crouching in the bottom of a muddy creek while rain is pouring down my neck is not my idea of enjoying myself. I am retired so can flight any day on the season and given that choice I pick a dry day if possible. I also ware glasses and misted up lens that you then wipe clean only to leave a big muddy smeer across them does not enhance the shooting experiance.

Edited by anser2

You surprise me Motty. I hadnt you down as a lightweight :)

I have to say i never quite understand all this talk about expensive Waterproof Fowling Jackets and neoprene waders' Then the amount of people who are afraid of a bit of rain :hmm:It only goes as far as the skin ye know :whistling:

I know at my most dedicated Hail,rain or Snow wouldnt deter me from Fowling. In fact I have had some memorable flights in heavy down pours. It still wouldnt stop me'Infact i would relish it.

Fowling aside' I get no pleasure at all Roughshooting in Heavy Rain.

I think, for me anyway, there's a vast difference between being out in heavy rain and going out in heavy rain!

Wind and Rain ?. Late evening , early morning lying in bed and the Hackles rise as it pelts against the slates , I cannot get out into it fast enough .

I love the challenge of a good stormy days flighting , though given the frequency of Storms last Winter I was beginning to Doubt my Sanity there for a while .

No wind bar one day in October just past and nothing on the Horizon this week either , for us here at least .

I have had my best bags on the worst of days and the Unusual often puts in an appearance on the shoreline to . The exhilaration of shooting in a good blow , of being the only person (idiot, myself , no reflection on other readers) out in it

makes me feel alive . and no I have not just watched Moby **** ( edited by the site ) The whale - and seen Capt Ahab give his speech from the bow .

At least 3 days rain needed here , all rivers low , estuaries with Salmon waiting to run and spawn , with seals making hay right now with low water levels . I just hope we do not get the floods to coincide with the very high tides due later this month .

My current kit is so much better than the Oil skin jacket and matching Sou wester hat , in shinny black I started shooting in . I need my Fix of wind and rain , now .

Edited by GADWALL41

Supergoose I am not afraid of a bit of rain, I have done my fare share of flights in it in the past, but there comes a time when I go shooting not so much to put a duck in the bag ( though its nice when it happens ) more to enjoy myself out on the marsh and crouching in the bottom of a muddy creek while rain is pouring down my neck is not my idea of enjoying myself. I am retired so can flight any day on the season and given that choice I pick a dry day if possible. I also ware glasses and misted up lens that you then wipe clean only to leave a big muddy smeer across them does not enhance the shooting experiance.

Anser2, apoligies if you took offence to my post. It was a lighthearted Dig/Bit of banter to the Young ,big strapping lad that is Motty.

I am only too aware that you are a Veteran of the sport and also of your recent health problems' hence i did not Quote your post. Im sure you are also aware from elsewhere "other forums" that i deeply respect you as a Wildfowler and a person whom probably Knows more about Wildfowl than most others do and I have learned so much from your posts over the yrs and its not very often i would disagree with anything you post. After all your yrs spent chasing Fowl in all conditions you have every right to pick and choose when you find it most enjoyable. Aplogies again if i offended you' it was not my intention.

Reabrook- That is very true. Many mornings the alarm awoke me to rain pelting off the bedroom windows and it took a fair effort to pull myself out.There was a time that it would not have deterred me at all though. Driving to the destination with the wipers on full and arriving and jumping out without hesitation and you could even see the dog could have happily stayed in his Box at home.

I remember one flight' where it was absolutely pelting it down at evening flight and i noticed two other shooters hunched up like two old herons with there back to the squall' whereas i face into it and loving every minute of it. No doubt probably a bit fool hardy but i honestly loved being out in the elements. Nowadays due to changed circimstances I could just as easily knock the alarm off and pull the duvet over my head and go back to sleep if the rain was lashing off the windows.

That all said' the temperature has dropped over here also and we had a Wet squally weekend and i have been sitting in front of the log burner for most of it due to a banjaxed knee and other unexplained health issues which will require a visit to the docs. But i have high hopes for some nice Wintry flights in the coming weeks.

I think, for me anyway, there's a vast difference between being out in heavy rain and going out in heavy rain!

I can see exactly where you are coming from Reabrook , there was a period during my working life when time was at a minimum then I would go whatever the weather, rain sleet or snow , you name it , I would go , but like answer2 I don't no longer have to go when its a heavy rain , as already said , now its for enjoyment only and not to come home with more duck than I really want.

With the gear I have got now , getting to wet is a thing of the past , but it is the past that keep reminding me of when the aches , pains and rheumatics that seem to get worse with every birthday now the three score year and ten is in sight.

Now if it raining hard and I haven't made any arrangements I will stay at home , if I am out and it start to rain hard then so be it , I will stick it out till it is to dark to see , after all its a winter pastime we take part in and getting wet is part of the package , although if I can avoid it I will do .

Never really done any good during a snow storm, fantastic to be out but the reallity is that what wildfowl there are just seem to hunker down and not move anywhere.

Strangely my local estuary does not seem to shoot any better during a cold spell, by mid winter there is very little about and the weather does not seem to influence that situation. Lengthening day light hours do produce a change in habits towards the end of the season though.

I love shooting in strong winds but I dislike shooting in heavy rain. If that makes me a light weight then I accept the epithet.

Yeah' But are you a dedicated Wildfowler though.? You may have noticed that I mentioned in my post that i did not like Rough shooting in the rain,Neither would I enjoy sitting in a Hide shooting pigeons or crows in the rain.

The OP posted this on the Wildfowling page.Had he posted it elsewhere I would not have commented. Wildfowling is a completely different aspect to other forms of Shooting and most dedicated wildfowlers I know' Myself included' would not be put off by the Wet stuff. The Fouler the Weather' The better the Fowling as they say.

Greeny , ok but its quite a long way off yet. I do not intend to use a publisher , but get it printed myself so things are going to take a bit longer. I had intended to have it ready in late 2018 , but retiring a bit early with luck it's going to be a bit sooner . But one chapter to finish yet and proof reading and a tidy up of the text is going to be some time to complete everything . Sorting out photos going to take a while and have not made my mine up if to have line drawings instead. I am only going to have one shot at this and want to get it right. Then going to have to sort out a printer.

Edited by anser2

Greeny , ok but its quite a long way off yet. I do intend to use a publisher , but get it printed myself so things are going to take a bit longer. I had intended to have it ready in late 2018 , but retiring a bit early with luck it's going to be a bit sooner . But one chapter to finish yet and proof reading and a tidy up of the text is going to be some time to complete everything . Sorting out photos going to take a while and have not made my mine up if to have line drawings instead. I am only going to have one shot at this and want to get it right. Then going to have to sort out a printer.

No problem at all I understand these things take time. I struggle to string a sentence together hence why I rarely put a report on here despite practically living on the foreshore.