Sika

Glenlivet

We often get family groups of red deer feeding in the woods surrounding the house. This morning however, I sported a lone animal which, whilst obviously deer like, bore no resemblance to the usual visitors. I've had a look at the British Deer Society website and have concluded that it must have been a Sika. Does anyone know if these are common in the East Cheshire area? I've certainly never seen one here before.

We often get family groups of red deer feeding in the woods surrounding the house. This morning however, I sported a lone animal which, whilst obviously deer like, bore no resemblance to the usual visitors. I've had a look at the British Deer Society website and have concluded that it must have been a Sika. Does anyone know if these are common in the East Cheshire area? I've certainly never seen one here before.

It was on holiday!

It didn't seem to have any luggage, maybe an illegal or asylum sika? ???

I didn't see it for long enough to grab a camera, perhaps it's related to my raven!!

An hour later the reds turned up, definitely not one of them. I take it they're not known in this area then??

Brilliant! :lol: :lol:

Was it a stag? By any chance. Most folk say the stags can wander massive distances and will show up on there own and either hang about or leave. Its when u start to see the hinds u know u have a resident population

Esp just after the rut could be looking to cover some hinds as Sika will interbreed with reds.

Ur probabably getting a bit late for it, but google sika whistling and go out near where u saw it and give a few wolf whsltes amazing how easily/readily they can call back to u, but mibee past the time for it now.

A few recorded in Cheshire each year around Milnthorpe. Is that anywhere near you..

No just realised thats further up t' north in Cumbria

But I'm sure I read somewhere the odd Hart has turned up around Lyme

Edited by Adge Cutler

Was it a stag? By any chance. Most folk say the stags can wander massive distances and will show up on there own and either hang about or leave. Its when u start to see the hinds u know u have a resident population

Esp just after the rut could be looking to cover some hinds as Sika will interbreed with reds.

Ur probabably getting a bit late for it, but google sika whistling and go out near where u saw it and give a few wolf whsltes amazing how easily/readily they can call back to u, but mibee past the time for it now.

Shame Glenlivet isn't of a certain Asian denomination then he could be Pigeon watches first Sikh Sika Seeker

You forgot to mention the very bad attitude that some of them have?...... :lol:

Didn't get much of a look at it, I was just surprised at the small size, colour and the fact it was alone as the reds always come mob handed.

I believe the reds come from Lyme park which isn't too far away so if there are Sika there it would make sense.

By the way, you can get in real trouble in this neck of the woods for wolf whistling at animals!!!

Edited by Glenlivet

Didn't get much of a look at it, I was just surprised at the small size, colour and the fact it was alone as the reds always come mob handed.

I believe the reds come from Lyme park which isn't too far away so if there are Sika there it would make sense.

By the way, you can get in real trouble in this neck of the woods for wolf whistling at animals!!!

Do you have a police record?

No Sika at Lyme (officially that is) and even the fallow are in a separate enclosure.