Miroku

dbob

Been happy with my Browning 525 for 2 years, but looking to upgrade to something a bit nicer next year. As well as the 725 I want to take a look at Miroku. Can anyone explain how the Sporter range works - M38, MK60, MK70. Which is the best? My budget is about 2700 and would like a nice grade wood if possible.

Can I be so bold as to suggest that you try a 725 Browning. I have used a Miroku in one form or another for more years than I care to remember. They were always a bit flatter shooting than the Browning range. However, I tried the new Blaser F16 last week and was bitterly disappointed with the gun. This prompted me to try a 725, grade 3, with adjustable comb. I hit everything with it, so I bought it there and then. Apart from some of the early B25's it has to be the nicest Browning that I have ever used. I collected it yesterday and shot it today, only dropping 9 out of a 54 birder at the local sporting shoot today. My shooting mate has the 525 also with adjustable comb and I have never really liked it. He was not shooting too well today, but he used the 725 on 1 stand and straighted it. Even he conceded that it 'felt' better than the 525. The 725 trigger pulls are superb and there is little or no perceived recoil and the balance makes it feel a pound lighter than it's 8lbs 2 ozs.

As for the different Miroku models, the MK 38 was really a trap gun, but so many shooters bought it and 'sporterised' it, Miroku produced a 'Sporter' model with a couple of extended Teague chokes and a sporting stock and forend. The MK70 is a multi choked game/sporter and the MK60 is virtually the same gun with fixed chokes.

With your stated budget I would certainly look at the G3 725 and still have change for a couple of thousand cartridges. Good Luck with your quest !

The 525 and miroku range are basically the same gun.. differnces are stock shapes and other cosmetics such as engraving (etching) patterns.

The 725 is different in that the receiver has a shallower profile and lock geometry and is mechanical rather than recoil operated for the swtch to the second shot.

The MK38 is a lovely gun. Yes I`m biased because I own one but the truth is I've never heard a bad word said about them. If you are happy to buy second hand then a Grade 5 or 6 is easily within your budget. You should have the better part of a grand, if not over a grand left.

Not sure about buying new but iirc you could buy a new Grade 5 for about that money. Although why you'd want to is a bit beyond me.

Can I be so bold as to suggest that you try a 725 Browning. I have used a Miroku in one form or another for more years than I care to remember. They were always a bit flatter shooting than the Browning range. However, I tried the new Blaser F16 last week and was bitterly disappointed with the gun. This prompted me to try a 725, grade 3, with adjustable comb. I hit everything with it, so I bought it there and then. Apart from some of the early B25's it has to be the nicest Browning that I have ever used. I collected it yesterday and shot it today, only dropping 9 out of a 54 birder at the local sporting shoot today. My shooting mate has the 525 also with adjustable comb and I have never really liked it. He was not shooting too well today, but he used the 725 on 1 stand and straighted it. Even he conceded that it 'felt' better than the 525. The 725 trigger pulls are superb and there is little or no perceived recoil and the balance makes it feel a pound lighter than it's 8lbs 2 ozs.

As for the different Miroku models, the MK 38 was really a trap gun, but so many shooters bought it and 'sporterised' it, Miroku produced a 'Sporter' model with a couple of extended Teague chokes and a sporting stock and forend. The MK70 is a multi choked game/sporter and the MK60 is virtually the same gun with fixed chokes.

With your stated budget I would certainly look at the G3 725 and still have change for a couple of thousand cartridges. Good Luck with your quest !

Thanks for the advice. Did you get the standard 725 or Black Ed? I shoot ok with my 525 but it sounds like the MK38 is essentially the same gun so not really worth switching from browsing to miroku in that respect? I will definitely demo the 725 and probably the F16.

MK 38 comes in two flavors Trap and sporter, though some trap ones have been modified into sporters.

MK70 has different comb height to the MK38 can't remember which has the lower comb.

MK60 has fixed choke at 1/4 and 3/4 some might find this too tight for sporting clays.

All good guns, case of what you like, best is see if you can find demos in them and try them out, while looking at these worth looking at the browning 525 and 725. Some prefer Miroku over the browning and vice versa.

dbob, the 725 black edition have rust issues. Be wary of buying one.

oh really? that's a bit worrying. To be honest i'm finding changing my gun a bit of minefield! So much varying advice when it comes to different manufacturers. My AA class shooter pal has said I should also look at Beretta 692!

I would suggest that any gun can have rust issues, dependant on how it is stored. The old Miroku 3800 was a real rust bucket. I had a 'club gun' (which Will has probably seen or even used) that would rust in the chambers in the time it took to get it home. I would spray 3 in 1 oil down each barrel before putting it in a slip and that seemed to cure the problem. I store my guns in silicone impregnated socks and rust has never been an issue. If rain is likely, I spray the outside of the metalwork before using the gun. I keep a kitchen roll in the back of my vehicle and wipe the gun down before putting it in a slip to bring it home. I am led to believe that the earlier 725's had one or two problems, but Browning have now solved that problem.

Perhaps you should stick with the 525 and try as many of the other guns as possible, THEN make up your OWN mind, after all, it is you that has to shoot the bloomin thing ! I can only say that I picked up a 725 and dusted everthing with it. It is a long time since I had a gun that shoots and balances so well for ME and that includes a gun that found it's way into Will's cabinet !

OP ,you need to shoot the different models really as Westley says.Personally,as a longtime B25 and MK70 user as well as a bit of time with MK 38 `s ,I`ve really disliked the fit and shooting of two 725 `s that I`ve shot (30 & 32 ",one game ,one sporter) .Everyone is suited to different guns ,so only you can know the answer!

If you're a Browning lover you might take a look at the 725 ProTrap. Don't be put off by the 'Trap' part it's really Browning's take on the Guerini Ascent concept of raised rib and adjustable MC stock. Both Mark Ivey and especially Ryan Sperling are doing pretty well with them on the registered sporting circuit.

If you're not a Browning lover there are plenty of other options including both the Guerini Ascent and the F16. Slowly but surely MK38s are fading away in this corner of Britain.

Just changed from CG to Miroku, no regrets. Bought a new MK38 Sporter Gd5, stunning wood,

You can get a new gd5 in that budget, Premiere Guns at Doveridge have a big selection of new and s/h, or try Malmo's in Lancashire.

Trap is fixed choke and drop at comb is different to sporter.

Sporter is m/c, comes with 5 chokes.

I also tried the 725 adj, 725 protrap and the F16.

The Miroku was the best fit and handles lovely.

Edited by MITCHF

Hey mate, what about the F16 disappointed you? Have you shot an F3 to compare it to? Sorry to go off topic.

The gun just seemed 'vague', I would hit a pair, miss a pair, but NOT know where or why I missed, this went on over 7 stands, 4 pairs on each. Overall, I hit around half, and I was glad to return it to the shop. That was a 32" model without any additional barrel weights and the stock weight adjusted to give a mid balance (between the hands or on the hinge pin). I then did the same stands using my Beretta 303 auto and dropped 4 birds ! The Blaser was not for me, I will stick with my sports jacket ! The following day I tried the Browning 725 (rust bucket model) I only shot around 20 clays with it, but dropped 2. No prizes for guessing which gun I now own ! I went out again today with my trusty , or should that be rusty 725 ? and shot around 70 assorted targets including skeet, I did not drop that many, considering the stock is a bit on the long side.

dbob, the differences to remember... 525/MK38 GD5

Stock dimensions / weight / vented barrel / wood / engraving / Price ( for good reason)

Yet lots of people say they are the same gun😝

Get yourself to a dealer at a ground where you can try them back to back.