My first renewal coming up and not off to a good start

Bry-M

I can only praise West Yorks. Due to holiday and work, i put my renewal in late, rang and explained and everyone from the girls in the office to the FEO were brilliant, they turned it all round in just under 4 weeks. A few bottles were dropped off by way of thanks a few days later.

Lincolnshire police wrote to me giving me 12 weeks. For one reason or another, I just scraped in at 8 weeks then they "lost" the cheque so i had to take one to them in person but 7 weeks later had to argue the toss that I had actually managed 8 weeks!

But, if they know they're unlikely to manage your renewal in three months - why don't they make it the norm to send a temporary cert when they write to you? Or just set a few more people on, there's thousands on the dole.....

Edited by fieldwanderer

If your cert runs out, you can ask for a temporary cert to be issued, so you can hold on to your guns. I have had to do this in the past.

Good luck. I was two weeks later than the required eight weeks in posting my renewal, a rather difficult lady in the firearms dept insisted she wouldn't even begin processing my certificate application until I 'lodged' the guns, just being deliberately awkward basically. As no one I knew had space for my guns in their cabinet I had to lodge them at my local Gun dealer's, which seemed a little silly as they've been in the same cabinet for 30 years and there's never been a problem. Once this had been done the Firearms Officer visited (really great bloke) and hurried it through for me. Trouble was whilst I was queueing in the gun dealer's to pick up my guns I started playing with a Beretta A400, came out of the shop £1650 lighter. That was her fault!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

so, little update.

I'd made arrangements with a local RFD to store the guns if i couldn't get a s7, so a few days before the certs ran out i emailed the force asking if my renewal won't be completed in time would they issue a s7 or should i put the guns in storage.

I got a phonecall the next day from a woman in the firearms dept who said as i'd sent my forms in with plenty of time (? haha) they'd issue a s7 and it would be with me on friday (it was wedneday, certs run out on the sunday)

friday arrives...no s7...ok it'll be with me saturday.

Nope.

Monday rolls round, I email a bit worried asking for email confirmation.

tuesday arrives...and so does the s7!

it was backdated to when my certs came out so i was covered. they never did email me back.

Quick question though, am i ok to hold the rimfire ammo i've got? nothing has been mentioned or do i now have to give it to a friend?

Norfolk are fantastic as far as I'm concerned , my sgc expires Jan 2017, in November 2016 I was sent the forms, telling me not t send them in, first week December had a call from the feo to go through the forms to ensure they were all correct and then told to send them off, a week later the cheque was cashed and the new cert arrived in the post.

Superb service

My renewal form was sent to me by Cheshire firearms 90 days before mine ran out, said to return asap and if all ok my new cert would arrive 2 days before the old one expired. I was side tracked with some blding work and forgot about it, got a reminder mid Nov , did the necessary sent it back and received the new cert exactly 2 days before old one ran out, great service from Cheshire fld. So if Cheshire can do it why do other forces seem to struggle so much.

S

Changing the address on your tickets is a lot simpler than renewing though.

Saying that, Hampshire aren't the best, inefficient would be a compliment :no:

In my experience Hampshire have been very good. My last FAC renewal was sent in with two weeks to run, (I was quite prepared to store rifles) I got the new FAC back in one week to the day.

I guess it's also partly down to how much they have to accomplish to process the applications.

When you put in for a renewal do they not send a letter saying they have received it and the letter gives you authority to hold the firearms and buy ammo until you receive your FAC. ?

Exactly the opposite. They tell you to store them with a RFD, if you are not in receipt of the new FAC before your old certificate expires.

My FAC is in for rewnual now, the letter i received bellow they must do it differently in this part of the UK.

I think that goes without saying since you can still own handguns. :good:

From the Hants police website.

If an applicant for renewal has applied less than 8 weeks in advance of the expiry of their certificate and it is not possible to renew their certificate before it expires, then the applicant will be required to make alternative arrangements for the storage of their firearms with either a registered firearms dealer or suitably authorised certificate holder.