Homemade magnet advice!?

Dazv

• 1 month later...

Started making pigeon magnets well over 10 years ago.

Car wiper motors are the way forward. Cheap and reliable. Using small motors and there is a chance of burnt out. Think about your weight load centers when choosing a motor!

I was fortunate I had an abundance of free steel nuts bolts thumb screws croc clips terminal clamps etc

I was getting wiper motors from a car parts company in box loads. Brand new 3 quid a pop

I had a mate make me up variable speed controllers 8 quid each

Yuasa batteries were free hundreds of them

Couldnt get grey primer or matt green paint free

Sold over 100s so someone must have one of my pigeon magnets on here

There is some serious profit to be made for such a simple invention

I have made a few and the last two which I still have are built with Disco 1, window wiper motors... also made some rotary flappers with same but made up some belt driven gears on the lathe for that, to slow the turn rate down a bit. Use a golf trolley battery which wouldn't do a full 18holes and was being discarded. Came complete with carry bag. Last me a good five hours and still going. Shafts are bright steel 5 maybe 6 mm and come in 1 1/2 mtr lengths. Never had those sag.

Just to touch on a point made earlier on. You can wire a car wiper motor up so that it spins clockwise or anticlockwise. It just depends on how you connect the positive and negative up on the appropriate wires on the motor, or the battery.

The vast majority of spindle nuts are righty tighty, so if your spindle is pointing to the sky, an anticlockwise rotation would undo the nut in a matter of moments. You can use castellated nuts with split pins to prevent this if you wish.

Depending on the wiper motor, you may be able to wire it up at one of three different speed settings (or more). Find the common earth, then connect the battery positive cable to whatever cable produces the speed you want. Ideally you should fuse the motor, with the fuse located close to the motor. If the motor starts to overheat, it will blow the fuse and save the motor from burning itself out.

Variable speed controllers are simple enough to install. Make sure to use the correct components, and ensure they are high quality if you want the controller to last. They really are simple devices to make. Motorcycle batteries are cheap and easy to transport, so you could have a few on them at hand and easily change them as needed. Golf cart batteries are better again.

Edited by Cannon