Browning Ultra XS Prestige Titanium 12bore

super10

Hi can anyone out there clear something up for me please?

I recently bought a Browning Ultra XS Prestige Titanium shotgun, proofed for steel shot, it came with Browning Invector Plus Titanium chokes made by Briley, they have an orange ring around the top of the choke tubes, the metal looks like stainless steel, I decided to buy an additional choke, browning don't sell direct to the public so I bought one on line from Chris Potter Guns in Kent, it was advertised as a Briley Invector Plus Titanium choke, it promptly arrived and after unpacking, it was obviously totally different than the original ones supplied with the gun, it is an Invector Plus and it does fit the gun, but the metal it is made from is a gunmetal blue, the extended metal has a different knurling pattern on it and it has a cherry red ring around the top outer edge, also stamped on the choke tube are the words 'not to be used with steel shot'.

I contacted Chris Potter who were very obliging, he said he did not know what the Browning chokes were made from, but the one he sent was definitely titanium, and should not be used with steel.

I contacted BWM Arms the Browning uk importer and they could not explain the difference, so I e-mailed Briley in the USA, they said that they did not recommend hunting loads through their Titanium choke (the one I got from Chris Potter) and added that if the Browning Chokes were not designated Ti (?) then they were made of 17-4 ph stainless (?).

The question is are browning using the word Titanium as a model name for the gun? or are they selling the guns with stainless steel chokes but advertising them as Titanium.

Incidentally the replacement Titanium choke cost £85.

I have no problems with Chris Potter Guns they were very helpful and efficient.

Anybody got any ideas.

Cheers

Al.

I can't answer your question, but Titanium is used (far too frequently) as a descriptive word quite unrelated to the actual metallic element Titanium - e.g. Ford use it on the back of cars to denote something (trim level?).

Looking at the actual gun 'name' - Ultra XS Prestige Titanium - none of these words really tells you anything useful; clearly the whole gun isn't Titanium. I suspect that it is a piece of 'marketing speak' designed to appeal to buyers. Quite what was wrong with Browning's B25, 725 etc I can't think!

Titanium (as a metal or alloy) is expensive, light, strong, but pretty tricky to work. Its main merit is the high strength and corrosion resistance for low weight. I have Teague chokes which I believe to be stainless - and they are magnetic (not all stainless steels are magnetic), so it may be worth checking your chokes with a magnet. Titanium is not magnetic, but I believe most grades of stainless are (but not all), so it's not a 100% conclusive test if they prove non magnetic. Titanium is very light, but I doubt you would detect this unless compared 'back to back' with a stainless one.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have tried the magnet test and neither type of choke is magnetic, contacted Browning, they say the chokes on the gun are Titanium and that I can shoot steel through them,but they won't comment on the aftermarket Briley choke. I also contacted Briley that you can shoot steel target loads (up to no 7 shot) but do not use anything bigger, they would not comment on the Browning choke. So nothing definitely established, I think the gun is great, and will stick with lead shot till it gets banned😳

Brownings 2014 catalogue lists your gun and states the chokes are Titanium (orange ring). It also shows all the Invector Plus tubes, black, stainless, Diamond, Midas, Titanium and Briley. Also stated is steel pellets 1320 bar for all bar the Briley. In the general specification sheet which gives an overview of all guns and their specifications only the Browning chokes are shown, not the Briley. On Brileys web it states that steel cannot be used through it's Titanium tubes. As you say there appears some conflict between what materials can and cannot be used with steel shot.

Some good info on 17/4 PH chokes here,

https://www.rolledalloys.com/shared/library/case-histories/PRODEC-17-4-Quick-Tech-Machining-Improves-Production-Speeds_CH_US_EN.pdf

Edited by B25Modelman

most titanium chokes by browning are only coated in titanium nitride.

This advert must be telling porkies then cos they can't be half the weight if only coated

https://www.gilsansports.com/product/Browning_Titanium_Chokes_12g/923

and Briley states made from Ti http://mpcsports.com/titaniumbrowninginvectorpluschokes12gaonly.aspx

Edited by B25Modelman

This advert must be telling porkies then cos they can't be half the weight if only coated

https://www.gilsansports.com/product/Browning_Titanium_Chokes_12g/923

and Briley states made from Ti http://mpcsports.com/titaniumbrowninginvectorpluschokes12gaonly.aspx

I used to have a pair with my XS and they are noticeably lighter than the Midas chokes I also own. I was under the impression they were entirely titanium. Aren't the titanium-coated ones the 'Diamond' ones that were sold with the Cynergy?