First deer

Craigyboy21

I recently had the pleasure of spending a days deer stalking with Kent and Sussex Deer Control. Ive previously done an introduction to deer stalking day and last year completed the DSC-1 both of which were very enjoyable. Ive been out on a few highseat stalks but was yet to get the opportunity to try to shoot a deer. The morning started as very dark and wet in a McD's carpark, i met Geoff and Robin from KSDC and there was also another client there that had been out with the guys on a few occasions previously. Id already told the guys id done my DSC-1 when i booked but i reiterated to them that i hadn't shot a deer before so they knew i was a relative novice.

It was decided id go with Geoff first and we drove to some woods and stalked into a doe box, we were there approx 30 mins when we saw our first deer, a herd of perhaps 8-10 animals came running from our right to left, what struck me was their size and speed, they were all fallows, only about 60 yards away and had likely been spooked by Robin and the other client as they were stalking the hill behind us. The beasts were stopped with a shout but as we were in the woods Sod's law dictated they were partially obscured by bushes and trees. I had the perfect view of 3 doe heads visible through the scope but i don't think there is much of a place for headshooting your first deer, more importantly there wasn't a safe backstop, moving my view slightly to the right i could see the broadside of another of the deer but as another was standing behind it, that shot wasn't viable either. Shortly after the deer ran off again. About 30 minutes later we were joined by Robin and the other client and so decided it was breakfast time. We went to a local cafe and Geoff and Robin bought us breakfast (small but nice gesture)

When we went back out to a different set of woods this time i was on foot with Robin and the other client was with Geoff in a highseat. It was the first proper wooded stalk I've done and Robin was teaching and pointing things out as we went around, there seemed to be so many different things to take in, the wind, sounds, spotting where the tree;s had been frayed, recently vacated rutting stands and also trying to avoid the many fallen branches and sticks on the ground that would give away our position when trodden on. We saw a number of deer but it was difficult to get close to many of them as they were very flightly. A couple of shots presented themselves but i was too slow getting up onto the sticks, i was trying to move slowly so as not to spook them but i was learning once they see you there is only a very short amount of time to get a shot off before they run. The other client and Geoff saw a number of big bucks sat up in the highseat but the other client chose not to shoot any of the trophy bucks.

For the final session we again moved to a different area and i was back with Geoff, this time in a highseat. We had good commanding views of the field we were overlooking and after about 40 minutes i saw the first movement of deer on the other side of the field. I obsessed the deer as one by one they came out of the woods through a gap in the bushes and began to feed on the grass in the field. The herd of fallow contained about 10 deer including a buck with its big palmated antlers. I had braced myself in the highest and my shooting position was very stable, i checked with Geoff that it was ok to shoot and settled on one of the deer that was broadside, i became aware of my heartbeat, it seemed that it was pounding in my ears as well as my chest and i had a to take a couple of deep slow breaths to calm it down a little. I clicked the safety off and settled the crosshairs on the spot where the front leg rises up and meets the white line running laterally alone the side of the deer, i began to gently apply pressure to the trigger taking care not to snatch or pull it, the deer was about 180 yards away and wounding it would have been worse than missing it. The deer reacted to the shot by giving a sudden jolt but then it and the rest of the herd started milling about wondering where the noise had came from, my deer then began to stagger backwards slightly before almost sitting down on its back legs and then falling over remaining motionless. I kept the fallen beast covered but it didn't move again, the rest of the herd scattered away through the woods but they reappeared off to our left about 90 yards away before slowing down and stopping. The day i had paid for involved up to 2 culls and Geoff asked if i wanted to take another, id been trying for abut 2 years to shoot a deer and here was the opportunity to shoot 2 in about 5 minutes. I lined up on the second deer and fired, this one fell shortly after the impact of the round but we waited for about 5 minutes before making the rifle safe and climbing down to perform the gralloch. We went to the second deer (Doe) first as it was closer and Geoff done the first gralloch explaining what he was doing and looking for whilst he was doing it, I gralloched the second deer (Pricket) under Geoffs guidance and was very relieved to see that both deer had been shot cleanly with heart lung shots.

I had a fantastic day with Geoff and Robin and learn loads, even without shooting anything the day would have been worthwhile but to shoot not only my first but also my second deer was an amazing experience. I can't recommend the guys at Kent and Sussex deer control highly enough and would suggest to anyone reading this that was in a similar position to me or that just wants an excellent day deer stalking them to give them a call. I hope to be back out with again at some point in the future.

I did try to load pictures of the 2 beasts earlier to accompany this write up but it caused me to lose the whole thing so after yet more deep breathing i had to write it again!

Cracking write up,

I'm just getting in to the deer stalking myself and have been out several times with a friend off mine just watching and learning the craft. Last time out I was offered my first shot at a sika deer and jumped at the chance, after having shot it and it dropping on the spot I am now hooked on the sport. Knowing there is a long way to go and lots to learn I knew from that minute I'm going to enjoy it. DSC1 booked for next month.

Davey