new lease

oowee

Just taken out a lease on a farm for stalking. Want to try to manage it properly so first task is to try and work out the numbers on the land and come up with a cull plan. Bagged half a sack of apples and off in the morning with the trail cam to set up in a likely place and start to find out whats about. I have seen 14 in an evening when after foxes and saw 5 when walking round after pheasant.

Also know there are Boar in the area so who knows.

Any ideas on how to estimate the numbers would be appreciated.

I'm guessing fallow deer if so estimation will be difficult as they can roam a long way, here today gone tomorrow. Best to look for slot marks and browsing damage, trial cam in a known area, what is the surrounding population like ? When its cold head for sheltered places that get the early sun, or the rutt is another time to get an idea. If its Roe and you are seeing 14 in an evening then you may have a good population on your ground.

I'm guessing fallow deer if so estimation will be difficult as they can roam a long way, here today gone tomorrow. Best to look for slot marks and browsing damage, trial cam in a known area, what is the surrounding population like ? When its cold head for sheltered places that get the early sun, or the rutt is another time to get an idea. If its Roe and you are seeing 14 in an evening then you may have a good population on your ground.

roe deer. it has a lot we counted a good number of bucks and that was after the rut. so they are lying low. owner has said there is muntjac there also

• 3 weeks later...

Don't want to seem negative and shold be applauding u wanting to manage it properely.

But to be honest unless it is a vast area ur probably wasting ur time, as so many other things can influence it that u have no control over.Mainly neighbours shooting bucks/deer u had been leaving or poaching.

There was a survey done near to me by a team of experts and there estimate was +/- 30% but he admited it could be out by as much as 100%+ and thats from professionals.

If u are seeing 14 roe in 1 nite it souns like u have a decent population and possibly ur neighbours aren't hammering them.

I'd speak to ur farmer and ask him wot he wants, does he like seeing them? is he getting any crop, young tree damage to any tree's he's planted?

14 sounds a lot but would depend on the size of area and habitat. If its a big area or fertile good ground 14 roe may be well within the carrying capacity with no damage.

Also monitoring deer wieghts when shot and even condition when watching, number of twins etc all indicate healthy deer, if populations rise too high they should drop.

Wot ur possibly better doing is assessing any habitat damage and rather than basing ur cull on numbers base it on any habitat damage.

Theres various survey trechniques but to be honest i wouldn't worry too much, in the past stalkers just shot a few and seen wot happened eventually throu trial and error they'd get the cull right.

Usually around 30% of population for roe

• 4 weeks later...