First dog - finding a trainer

rabbit_stu

Hi guys,

We pick up our first pup on the 10th, a cocker who will be about 8 weeks.

I've got a few books and some dvds, which of course all offer differing advise so I'd really like to find a trainer near by I could have a few hours with every now and then to help both the dog and myself progress.

I'm in Plymouth so if anyone knows of a good local trainer or how to find one, along with any other advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Stuart

A 'pocket rocket'. Good idea if it is your first dog, but initially you can train obedience just when you feed the dog for instance. Tell /make it sit until you say it can have it's food.

Then simply walking the puppy on a soft lead and every time you stop make the pup sit, repeat repeat repeat .... ever so simple but you also have to train yourself as well to have no truck, what you say goes. Then you can ease off and have fun , play with the pup, then change tack and 'SIT' !!!! having the pup do that and look at you. It is time consuming and nothing comes automatically without a lot of time and effort on your part. There is no instant remedy. Obedience Obedience Obedience ..... the pup will eventually teach you to sniff out game and hunt. Don't be in too big a hurry.

Happy to travel as it won't be that regular as I really want to have a class or two, get a few things to come away to work on an then go back in a month or two so distance isn't a problem - have you someone in mind Elevation?

Walker - really appreciate the reply. It's nice to hear someone make it seem slightly less daunting than some of the guides I've read!

I got my cocker in Jan 15 she was six months and like you my first ever dog. I don't like formal training or anything teacher related so did it on my own having said that I had some very good advice by email from a friend who was / is very knowledgeable (thank you peter) then I found a very helpful bloke on another forum who's methods suited me and he was / is kind enough to become my virtual mentor. Like you I read various books and did lots of online research BUT I found the whole thing very confusing and at times contradictory. My point is, find a method and or a trainer who's methods you are happy with and stick with it. My journey was fraught with one step forward one step back BUT I am now on my second beating season on a syndicate shoot, dogging in and beating on a private shoot on a local estate and my bitch as far as I am concerned is now a "propper working dog" so enjoy your journey the road is frustrating but the rewards at the end are worth it.

Regards

I'm sure ur find a decent trainer near u. Really worth the investment and learnig the easy ways when u start, will save u making plenty of mistakes (u'll still make a few thou)

1 thing i'd say atleast with books/dvds most of the advice is semi similar and the basic principles are the same and the fact there published means there usually is some degree of professional experience and editing behind them.

With the internet u can get all sorts of advice not all of it good, for a novice i could see how hard it would be to differentiate between the good and the bad. And plenty of folk talk a far better game than they should (and that may even include me).

Generally if it makes a bit of common sense or imagine ur pup is a toddler ur not that far away

Happy to travel as it won't be that regular as I really want to have a class or two, get a few things to come away to work on an then go back in a month or two so distance isn't a problem - have you someone in mind Elevation?

Walker - really appreciate the reply. It's nice to hear someone make it seem slightly less daunting than some of the guides I've read!

I was think of Duchy Working Gundog Club mate:

http://www.dwgc.org.uk/

Edited by Elevation