Crow decoying

Farcombehall

Just back from the very same,,,half a dozen crow decoys around an upturned breasted grouse in an open spot so anything in the area can see that something is going on. The result was 6 crows in a couple of hours. Make sure that you have a lid on at least half the hide because they do tend to cruise about above you and are off like a flash if you are spotted.

Crows can be hard to decoy. Jackdaw's are very easy. I usually put Crow decoys out (around 20) and also a flapper with dead bird attached. Floaters are placed outside the pattern. A rota works with Jackdaw's, but I've found that Crow's are put off by it, and tend to veer off when they see it. Putting out a dead rabbit might work, and a good tip is to insert a marble in the eye socket, as this is the first thing a Corvid usually goes for.

out last sunday on crows/jackdaws, started with 20 full body decoys and always have two dead crows(out of freeze the night before) on peckers, i put 4 full bodys just outside the two dead bird peckers with just a frozen pigeon in the middle of the six crows and put the rest around randomly, the crows didn`t drive straight in but loads of them came in close so i could get a shot off, works ok for me

Done a good few crows , just throwing 9 flocked over my shoulder, and standing them up

Put the caller on when I see them in the distance, and they do come in

Good sport , and for me anyway good practice, as I can't hit the pigeons half as good , more practice needed I think

Atb

Dave

What sort of caller do you use?

Crows are BLACK jet BLACK and many plastic decoys go grey. I find a fine spray of WD40 and then rubbed off with a paper towel pulls them up black again and gives that sheen they have on their feathers. A flapper and a few feeders will pull them but as said put a top on your 'pen' as they will cruise high up before dropping in and they do talk to each other. Once you get a few newly shot birds set up they will come in, no problem. Very often at almost zero height from far out and dead quiet. Never had a need for using dead bait for crows but it does work on magpies. I use an old piece of sheep skin with some red paint on it and set a Maggie decoy on the skin and another on a nearby post. If they are about they just have to come and have a look see.

Edited by Walker570

I use 16 or so (depending on how many I forget to pick up at the end of the day) full bodied flocked decoys and ensure I set up where the crows are, not where you want them to be. I dont bother with flappers, whirlies or dead rabbits etc as I have tried all of these and find that it makes little difference. If you have a tidy hide, natural set up and keep still you should have good results.

Crows are a lot more wary then pigeons and will come in from all angles so be ready. As others have mentioned use of electronic callers is illegal unless the purpose is photography. Primos power crow works well when you finally master it.

Crows are BLACK jet BLACK and many plastic decoys go grey. I find a fine spray of WD40 and then rubbed off with a paper towel pulls them up black again and gives that sheen they have on their feathers. A flapper and a few feeders will pull them but as said put a top on your 'pen' as they will cruise high up before dropping in and they do talk to each other. Once you get a few newly shot birds set up they will come in, no problem. Very often at almost zero height from far out and dead quiet. Never had a need for using dead bait for crows but it does work on magpies. I use an old piece of sheep skin with some red paint on it and set a Maggie decoy on the skin and another on a nearby post. If they are about they just have to come and have a look see.

I have used Crow socks, available from Paul Hart on here, to great effect. They cover any shiny/grey decoys a treat. You can also use them to cover Pigeon decoys as well.