Pulling on lead.

Laird Lugton

So we have our first dog who is an 11 month lab who is a cracker.

We walk him on a slip lead but he just pulls and pulls and pulls, to the point that if he sees something he wants he will literally choke himself in order to get it.

On the way to the park he will pull, I'll stop, make him sit, he'll whine, we'll move off and he's pulling. So I will then do a 180 and walk back to the house at which point he will walk beautifully to heel until I turn back to the park. At which point he is off pulling again. Recently I have put the slip lead in a figure of 8 over his nose which he detests, so much so that he was scratching at it so much he gave himself a bloody nose.

This isn't fun for either of us so two options, buy a skate board and he can pull me at his pace or getting him to walk to heel.

Advice tips on the latter option?

Skateboards.. I broke my arm using one when I was a kid.

I've been having a similar problem with an Engish spinger. The advice that we've been trying is; when you feel the dog pulling stop walking. Usually fairly quickly they stop pulling and look round. Once they have stopped pulling carry on until it starts again and stop. After a while it should learn that pulling won't let them advance.

If when stoped it keeps pulling then walk in the opposite direction until it stops then go back the original way.

It's not all been plain sailing but at least our dog isn't as likly to pull the Mrs off her feet anymore and taking him out is much more fun and less likly to result in another broken arm from taking up skateboarding again.

Edited by Paul1440

You see, the issue isn't so much him pulling on the lead - that's what annoys YOU but he doesn't know what he's doing is wrong.

The trick is regardless of whether he's on the lead or not to teach your dog where his place is at your side when you ask him to heel.

Take the time to show him :)

Edited by bigbird

Make yourself more fun than what he is pulling to (easier said than done!) Being at your side wants to be the more interesting option, use daft noises, food, toys (rabbit skin balls are great for getting their attention). Also remember that a slip lead should be used for correction, not restraint, slack all the time unless you are correcting the dog, otherwise just put a normal collar/lead on. Like Bigbird said take the time to show him.

How should I exercise him?

At the moment he's exercising you, he's taking you for a walk.

One problem you're probably creating is by taking the dog for the same walk regularly, he knows where you're going, so you're getting dragged along for the ride. Until you sort things out don't walk him, you'll just end up confusing the dog as I'm sure you'll end up letting it do it's own thing at some point during the walk. Training makes a dog more tired than exercise.

Every time the dog goes past you turn away from it & go the other way, you may go round in circles for some time, it sort depends how bright the dog is. You've got to be firm, I'm not saying yanking his head off but don't give any quarter to it, let it cause itself the pain not you as it'll probably try hanging itself to begin with. Most dogs the penny will drop after a very short time, as soon as the dog stops being a knob & pulling, ie relaxes, make a fuss of it, don't talk to it all until this point. From here you can work on the dog actually knowing what you mean by saying heel. Make the dog follow you, not lead you.

Also lift lead across one side of head and neck and trap a ear under. If scratching just tug lead upward and it'll stop. Do lots of short brisk walks say 10metres and change direction then vary this up with a stop and sit so that every time you stop the dog will sit by your side and look up to you. Keep it interested and it will soon learn.

What a difference a day makes, problem not solved but much better so thanks for all the tips.

Been using his favourite bacon flavour treats to get him to walk to heel in the garden, he picked that up pretty quickly. Then put the lead on him and did the same, I didn't hold the lead. Then took him a short walk on a route which we don't normally do which wasn't perfect by any means but the treats and a lot of praise kept his focus mostly on me and more importantly close to me with a loose lead. :yahoo:

Not perfect but a big move in the right direction :yahoo:

Could this mean the end of calluses on my hand?! :lol:

Edited by Laird Lugton

You see, the issue isn't so much him pulling on the lead - that's what annoys YOU but he doesn't know what he's doing is wrong.

The trick is regardless of whether he's on the lead or not to teach your dog where his place is at your side when you ask him to heel.

+1 the point is if you don't use the above advice first all the training tricks in the world might not help, best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Laird, this might help but could just be a fluke. My pup doesn't so much as pull as wants to be at the end of the lead to get where we are going quicker a quick check puts him back by my side but not for long.

Couple of weeks ago he stepped over the lead so it was coming up under the arm pit I was going to move it but for some reason he stays better by my side with the lead there so been doing it deliberately on and off so he is where I want him without me having to do anything forcefully, then just changing direction lots as other people have said to you.

Hope this helps

ive been doing this for two years.. He still likes to be infront...

Same problem here. Two years on and still pulls. Tried EVERY trick in the book and then some and nothing works. Walks at heel pretty good but put a lead on and were doomed. Figure eight no good cos she goes mental. I think she feels "safe" with lead on so switches everything off apart from hunting mode. Lead off she is more vulnerable so pays more attention. Regular abrupt stops seems to be having a slight effect theory being the regular stops make her pay more attention but it is as I say only having a slight effect in the right direction.

The trick is not to let the dog know where you are going vary the routes,also spend two or three 5 minute sessions a day on this format start with your dog sat then move off with the heel command four steps stop and sit. heel again four steps stop and sit, keep this up for the five minutes.

You have to be very firm if he doesn't stop immediately take him back to the point where you said it then reinforce the sit command,

Once he is ok on four steps gradually increase the number of steps it is up to you to keep at it you know your target.

After a while the dog should have you stopping and sitting perfectly.

Mick

You both need professional advice if you haven't sorted it in two years.

Use a trainer. And lead walk every day. He doesn't pull, just has his head infront.

No offence - he can 'like' to be in front all he wants but he has to learn to curb his impulses and do as you ask

No offence taken. What would you suggest, hitting? Choking!? Beating? Shirt sharo taps on lead and direction change hasn't seemed to work on my very energetic spaniel