Dodgy Car Adverts

THE MEK

I was looking at a new motor, found one down in Kent. Spoke to garage on Monday to say I was interested, paid 80 quid for a ticket and rang them again on Wednesday to confirm that I was coming down to view the car the next day. Oh I'm sorry we sold that car on Monday?

Fast forward to tonight the car is still being advertised in auto trader by the garage, but more worrying for me someone has it on flea bay stating they bought it in august from said garage

Strangest happening with me was when I was selling a Grand Vitara V6. A couple came to view and test drive it which was all straight forward. After the drive I showed them all the history docs inc full services. They stood and looked and said very little to each other and when I asked if they were going to buy it they again said nothing, I then suggested an offer or even a haggle. They again said nothing thanked me and left. 15 minutes after they left my phone rang and it was a dealer saying he knew all about the vehicle, the history and condition and would I accept this that and the other (much less than asking)...I deduced the two persons who visited to have been his scouts. I thanked him and declined his offers. I ended up trading it in against the new GV I had ordered.

My son is looking for a car and is continually browsing through Autotrader. Its disaster zone, hundreds of suspiciously underpriced cars being sold by blokes of dubious character from dodgy addresses.

I've told him to go to a main agent and buy one of their approved used cars. He says they are so much dearer but there is a reason for that.

A couple of years ago I spotted an ex military Land Rover at a garage about 100 miles away, phoned said garage, checked it was available and told them I'd be there the next day.

The next day I did drive to the garage which I eventually found which was nowhere near the post code given (the locals told me this happened all the time), thanks for warning me!

Arrived at the garage in the rain. The Land Rover was parked right at the back of the yard behind many other cars, in the mud, not on the tarmac. The battery hadn't been charged and the engine only started with the use of a battery pack. There was no chance of test driving it that day and, needless to say, I drove the 100 miles home somewhat less than happy.

The garage didn't get a sale and, apparently, couldn't have cared less. Why waste the money on advertising?

My son is after a new(er) car, and they saw a Nissan Qashqai 7-seater advertised on the Bay. Lots of info, including ONE owner, and mileage of 82,000, cambelt replaced at 78,000. When he put the number into the Gov. website, the MOT history showed it at 152,000 at the last one, 135,000 at the one before, 134,000 prior to that - yes, only 1,000 in the year, and 85,000 the year before that. So in the last four MOTs, the mileage was recorded as higher than currently advertised, with a very strange lack of consistency. His wife rang the garage and asked if the mileage was correct in the advert, they said 'Yes'. So it hasn't been at the mieage advertised in over 4 years! It was a garage in Lincoln area, so he didn't bother to go look at it. He did report them to Lincoln Trading Standards, VOSA, and, for what it's worth, Ebay.

So, always worth checking the MOT history before even viewing.

Mike.

A couple of years ago I spotted an ex military Land Rover at a garage about 100 miles away, phoned said garage, checked it was available and told them I'd be there the next day.

The next day I did drive to the garage which I eventually found which was nowhere near the post code given (the locals told me this happened all the time), thanks for warning me!

Arrived at the garage in the rain. The Land Rover was parked right at the back of the yard behind many other cars, in the mud, not on the tarmac. The battery hadn't been charged and the engine only started with the use of a battery pack. There was no chance of test driving it that day and, needless to say, I drove the 100 miles home somewhat less than happy.

The garage didn't get a sale and, apparently, couldn't have cared less. Why waste the money on advertising?

On the flip side if I had a tenner for every time a caller said he'd be round the next day or week (never to turn up or call to say not coming) I would literally never have to use my own money for cartridges ever again.

Also it's a fact of life that cars standing still on fore courts lose their battery charge and some will be at the back ! The only way to avoid disappointment where such high mileages are involved is to call them again just before you set off and state that you are serious and will need to drive it and will they kindly make sure it's not at the back.

My son is after a new(er) car, and they saw a Nissan Qashqai 7-seater advertised on the Bay. Lots of info, including ONE owner, and mileage of 82,000, cambelt replaced at 78,000. When he put the number into the Gov. website, the MOT history showed it at 152,000 at the last one, 135,000 at the one before, 134,000 prior to that - yes, only 1,000 in the year, and 85,000 the year before that. So in the last four MOTs, the mileage was recorded as higher than currently advertised, with a very strange lack of consistency. His wife rang the garage and asked if the mileage was correct in the advert, they said 'Yes'. So it hasn't been at the mieage advertised in over 4 years! It was a garage in Lincoln area, so he didn't bother to go look at it. He did report them to Lincoln Trading Standards, VOSA, and, for what it's worth, Ebay.

So, always worth checking the MOT history before even viewing.

Mike.

FWIW I have come across perfectly legit cases where the mileage is wrongly input by the MOT centre and nothing to do with wind back or criminal activity. In fact this is not that uncommon, if you manage to spot the error the same day you can call them and they'll revise the figure, if not then their system will have updated overnight and you will need to write in to whoever to get things reversed. In practice many don't get spotted and some that do are let go of because it's too much hassle.

• 3 weeks later...