Bread and dropping

Lloyd90

Come on, who's had it ? I can honestly say I can't ever remember having it growing up, although my great uncle who taught me to shoot used to talk about it fondly.

His father used to work on the docks at Southampton over the war period, he was one of eleven kids and had some great stories, different world back then!

He said their mother used to shout out "boys your steaks ready" and when they all ran in excited they'd be having bread and dripping and she'd be laughing that the neighbours all thought they were having steak now 😂

Said they used to have tinned fruit and put the tins out on the front wall so everyone could see!

Anyway, after my rib roast I've got a pan full of dripping seems to have gone solid and I might just have to put some on toast for breakfast to remember the old ***, he's sadly missed :(

used to get it at Grandparents as a kid,loved the stuff. But my gran used to take the meat out and out the tin back in the oven til the dripping had reduced and all the brown meat juices had come off the roasting tin, when set my grandad would get the bowl and some fresh cut bread break the set dripping on top to get to the brown juice underneath spread on bread with a sprinkle of salt it was better than beef joint.

These days id have a fit if someone tried to feed me it :lol: my waist is getting bigger just remembering eating it.

My wifes family would dip their bread into the hot dripping just before the roast came out the oven.

If you are making pastry for meat pies add some of the dripping, reduce the fat content by the same amount, no more than 25% it adds a lot of flavour.

When I make my game or pork pies I use lard and a bit of butter, are you saying reduce the lard and use some beef dripping?

Jeez. Consider this >> 889 Calories per 100 grm. = lard sanwiches

Nutrition Facts

Dripping

Amount Per

100 grams

Calories 889

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 99 g 152%

Saturated fat 45 g 225%

Polyunsaturated fat 8 g

Monounsaturated fat 42 g

Cholesterol 101 mg 33%

Sodium 545 mg 22%

Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%

Dietary fiber 0 g 0%

Sugar 0 g

Protein 0 g 0%

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 0% Iron 0%

Vitamin D 25% Vitamin B-6 0%

Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 0%

Nutrition Facts

Dripping

Amount Per

100 grams

Calories 889

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 99 g 152%

Saturated fat 45 g 225%

Polyunsaturated fat 8 g

Monounsaturated fat 42 g

Cholesterol 101 mg 33%

Sodium 545 mg 22%

Dietary fiber 0 g 0%

Sugar 0 g

Protein 0 g 0%

Calcium 0% Iron 0%

Its funny how my granddad and my dad ate this type of food, I used to eat this type of food, but you did not see many fat kids or adults and most lived to a ripe old age.

Its funny how my granddad and my dad ate this type of food, I used to eat this type of food, but you did not see many fat kids or adults and most lived to a ripe old age.

I don't think that the fact that occasionally some had a bit of beef dripping off of the sunday roast made them slim fit and old lived. They were skinny because they didn't have much food to eat because wages were low. And heart failure/ heart attacks were the biggest killer. Yeah beef dripping might be nice but it isn't the el Dorado of a forgotten food source.

Edited by fortune

When I make my game or pork pies I use lard and a bit of butter, are you saying reduce the lard and use some beef dripping?

Yes by about 25%, you could also reduce the Butter and replace with dripping.

It is very much a play it by ear method.

If you are using Lard try and find un refined Lard this will have a much more pronounced Pork Flavour.

Edited by bakerboy

The latest food scare is Broken leaves in bags of Salad "possibly" causing Salmonella.

Everything in moderation is surely the best recipe.

Some years ago there was a scare with the lubricant that was used in Dough Dividers, it had a small amount of mineral oil in it, this could be carcinogenetic and was banned.

An all vegetable oil was quickly produced that promptly clogged up the dough dividers and made them inoperative.

After much investigation , (these figures are not correct but reflect the scare value), a person would have to eat something like 280 14oz loaves of bread (Small Loaf) every day for 25 years to be the 1 in a million person that "MAY" be affected.

I repeat moderation is the name of the game.

It is good to know the risk, but be sensible.

Edited by bakerboy

Nutrition Facts

Dripping

Amount Per

100 grams

Calories 889

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 99 g 152%

Saturated fat 45 g 225%

Polyunsaturated fat 8 g

Monounsaturated fat 42 g

Cholesterol 101 mg 33%

Sodium 545 mg 22%

Dietary fiber 0 g 0%

Sugar 0 g

Protein 0 g 0%

Calcium 0% Iron 0%

Looking at that it's actually not that bad at all, if you feel the need to eat 100g of the stuff, so be it, but that's a lot if you look at what 25g of butter looks like.

From a health point of view, in moderation, nearly half is mono fats, no 'trans fats', high vit d.

Edited by kyska