Best place for insurance

Glenn76

By joining the CPSA I understand that you get public liability insurance included. Give them a ring. I also know that shooting clubs also have insurance to cover for accidents whilst shooting. The shooting club we run has insurance that would cover shooters whilst with us.

Www.ddcpsc.org.uk

Cheers

Kevin

Loads of choice from something bare bones like Gun Plan which is £25, up to CPSA/BASC for £67/£74. Depends if you just want the insurance or a subscription to an association which provides loads of other services as well. For what is a very small amount of money a year - it does provide a large amount of cover if the worst did happen. Also some places do require you to have your own insurance before they will let you shoot.

However you should make sure you get is some kind of proof of insurance such as a card or certificate so you can show this when required - beware as some insurers will charge you extra for this!

Edited by benspain_uk

By joining the CPSA I understand that you get public liability insurance included. Give them a ring. I also know that shooting clubs also have insurance to cover for accidents whilst shooting. The shooting club we run has insurance that would cover shooters whilst with us.

Www.ddcpsc.org.uk

Cheers

Kevin

But that the club has commercial cover that may settle a claim, that does not stop the liability running back to the shooter.

If you do not carry your own insurance and reply on the clubs, then:

Have you read the policy and know the extent of cover?

Do you know the premiums are up to date?

Is there an excess you might be reponsible for.

and finally, if insurance exists at the ground and supports the claim, this means to claiming party is paid out by the ground's underwriters, but having done so what makes you think that they will not seek to re-imburse their settlement from the person/s who caused the claim?

For minor claims its probably not worth the administration, but you can be sure they will be knocking on your doorstep for reimbursment if a loss of sight claim for £10,000 was paid out.

Whatever cover you might have under a club's policy will be bare bones. You will not have any legal cover to represent yourself within a claim, no license revocation, no personal accident.

Remember, club's policies are to cover their negligence, not your negligence as a shooter. If you as a shooter on that ground cause a claim to arise, and the claimant claims on the club policy, loss adjusters will only pay out if you as the person causing that accident can prove negligence on the part of the club i.e. unsafe stands, no controlling public access, etc etc. If their is no fault by the ground, loss adjusters will recommend the claim is not met, and the claimant will be directed straight to you. To then engage the club's insurance to settle the claim, you will need to sue the club, or if you are sued, to join them in the action.

When you can carry your own insurance for between £25 and £70 depending on the organisation, it would seem foolhardy to think that because a club has cover, that it comprehensively covers you against potential claims. Afterall, the minimum cover the club needs to hold is employee's liability cover. Have you actually looked to see whatever cover they have is extended to shooters? and if so what are the terms of that cover?

Thanks for all the replies all I want to do really is just go around the local shoots and maybe join one but I do like the thought of changing scenery every so often. I have the CPSA handbook which did mention insurance in there. Does the CPSA or BASC have any advantages over the others as they seem to be pretty much the same price.

All you really need is your own insurance cover. This type of cover can be obtained from a load of sources such as the cpsa or the like. You can even go and get cover from other sources like insurance companies. If you have a car you dont have to have cover from the AA or RAC, you would go through to a company such as those provided by compare the market or go compare or someone. Like a lot of others on here I have used ccc3 for insurance that is only about £30 for something like X million cover for all sporting shooting and field stuff. They have a phone line so you can actually speak to someone and get all sorts of help. I think that it even covers your guns and dog and other stuff but not sure without a read up. You can print off your cert of insurance as many times as you like and give out or / and carry copies in your pocket to show that you are covered. PS. I have no interest in this company or any other. But you should have sufficient cover in case the unexpected happens. £30 is nothing for peace of mind.

I agree for peace of mind and £30 it is nothing and I didn't know if I could shoot everywhere without say BASC or the equivalent. It sounds like all I need is general insurance as I will only be shooting as a hobby in the winter when my motorbikes off the road and thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

CPSA insurance cover. "The insurance provides cover whilst members are participating in recognised and approved activities of the CPSA:

Clay Target Shooting, Game Shooting, Rough Shooting, Pest/Vermin Control, Wild Fowling, Rifle Shooting (including Stalking), Muzzle Loading (including Black Powder), Beating & Loading, Angling from Dry Land (including wading), Air Weapon Shooting (including FAC rated), Archery, Crossbow Shooting (inc FAC), the ownership, cleaning and maintenance of legally held firearms and ammunition.

Plus the cover is for £10,000,000 for the membership fee of £67, veterans less, disabled less, juniors less. What's not to like about it.

If you want to shoot competitons then cpsa is what you need , if not hen BASC are better for game shooters and advice, SACS are similar as are, NGO and CA (countryside. Alliance) also offer insurance for not just shooting but other field sports also.

There are differences in cover, but I suggest joining an shooting org based on more than just insurance.......

Edited by HDAV

If you want to shoot competitons then cpsa is what you need , if not hen BASC are better for game shooters and advice, SACS are similar as are, NGO and CA (countryside. Alliance) also offer insurance for not just shooting but other field sports also.

There are differences in cover, but I suggest joining an shooting org based on more than just insurance.......

As you say joining one of the shooting org's is based on much more than just insurance. The insurance on offer from the likes of CA and BASC was, when we looked at it closely, vastly different between the two organisations.

As you say joining one of the shooting org's is based on much more than just insurance. The insurance on offer from the likes of CA and BASC was, when we looked at it closely, vastly different between the two organisations.

For the better or the worse?.

For me it is BASC all the way :good: .

But having said that I am covered by BASC :good: CPSA :good: and APSI :good: .

I also have a private insurance to cover my coaching activities, although CPSA also cover this within their insurance

You would be a fool not to be covered by insurance, and best by one of the organisations that work exclusively within Shooting.