GP views on firearms licensing

The police have to have some point of reference as to the health of an applicant as they have always had in the past but events have shown that they did not always follow up on the permission given to look at the health records of all applicants but now they have past the buck to gps lets be honest surly it will be an admins job to check for conditions that would be a cause for concern (probably after an afternoons training and a list of these conditions to refer to) .

Another example of government implementing impractical, unworkable rules, regulations and legislation suggested by, for example, various interest groups, political lobbyists, civil servants, the police et al, all of whom, it appears have done no costing, other than to expect it to be done by for free by someone! (But not them!) Who do not know how it will be implemented or how it will/will not work in practice, and who have no agreement from those that will be required to implement it!........

What a joke!

Let's be honest here, if we had lifetime licensing (30 years plus) and a marker on the NHS GP records system if the holder exhibited any notifiable condition this would be manageable. We could and, likely would, be prepared to pay once for the initial assessment, FLO's could manage it, GPs could manage it and renewal times and staffing costs could be reduced.

I am not totally clear as to the GPs' position.

They seem to be in a position to judge suitability, if they can charge a fee.

In the absence of a fee, they seem to be unqualified to pass judgement. :hmm:

I rather feel you have hit the nail on the head.

Back in 2015 a report from HMIC (Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabularies) stated that a medical report should be obtained before grant. This was something that the BMA agreed with and I quote.........

Responding to the report, BMA professional fees committee chair John Canning said:

The proposals for a pre-report from a GP on gun licensing reflects a position the BMA has been advocating for some time.

It is encouraging that HMIC has accepted our advice. It is vital that doctors play a role in ensuring gun licences are issued safely.

However, we do need to ensure that the practical implementation of the proposed system is effective, should it be taken forward, and does not unnecessarily increase workload for GPs at a time when many are struggling to cope with patient demand and falling resources."

It would now seem that you are right Gordon. Stitch up certificate holders now there's a chance to make a quick buck.

From what I have been told the police write to your GP and ask if you the applicant have or have had any "relevant" health problems, the GP is under no obligation to reply.

If your GP does not reply the police take that as 'no' but if you do have mental health problems and anything happens the onus falls back to the GP and not the police, its called 'passing the buck' and I think that is the part GP's don't like.

The police are not asking the GP to make a medical assessment of your mental state, they ask if there are any recorded medical facts that could give rise to concerns, if there are the police will then ask for a full report from the GP which may incur a charge.

Some rubbish being spouted in the comments by GPs, one even reckons why we should get a cert for free, he needs to do his or her homework first

Afterall which would the majority prefer - for the public to have less of GP time so that the gun holding community can have it's license for free and be certified by an untrained person???

Unquote

What is BASC going to do about this :sad1:

Edited by Pugs

This really p****s me off. Why? Well, aside from the fact this is obviously an attempt to stop all shooting by the anti-Gun lobby, at no time has anyone pointed out what a rediculous waste of time and effort this is. We are the safest sport or activity in this country - fact as I used to do the numbers on a huge personal accident account for the largest insurer in the country! You can count, on one hand, the number of deaths from legally held guns annually yet we are subject to this farce every 5 years. But on our roads motoring accidents account for nearly 2,000 deaths annually plus numerous life changing injuries - you get a licence when you pass your test and 50 years later (or perhaps before if you just happen to kill or maim a few!!) you get asked to prove you are fit to drive. Can we not get real about this and ask our Goverment to introduce 10 or 25 years licences and tell the BMA and the Home Office to grow up.

The police are not asking the GP to make a medical assessment of your mental state, they ask if there are any recorded medical facts that could give rise to concerns, if there are the police will then ask for a full report from the GP which may incur a charge.

The item I read a while ago asked, in the doctors opinion if there was any reason to not grant. I could see the doctors potential issue with that but, if the question was as quoted I see no come back to the doctor

Wow....just read through this and it looks like air rifle licensing is due to come in force on the 30 December 2016, (Scotland) but the shameful thing about it is the snippet below, just think of all the old air rifles that are going to-be scrapped (ditchman)

Police Scotland has recently held a surrender campaign for air weapons, and FL

gave a brief update on what had been surrendered. Police Scotland is currently

reporting numbers in excess of 15,000 air weapons being surrendered to the police.