Dog getting cold

gerron

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have a fantastic lab who is now getting on for 10 years old, he is still very fit and regularly works in the beating line 2 or 3 days a week, I used him for wildfowling a few years ago and he was fantastic at long retrieves from water, I have used him a couple of times this year but he seems to be getting cold very quickly, I think I have to consider that he just isn't up to fowling anymore, I am considering buying him one of these neoprene dog jackets but am skeptical as to weather or not it will help just wondering if anyone has had this problem and do the coats help ?

If I am shooting over decoys , I put the Vest on him . If jump shooting , or ambushing them in creeks and corners , he will be walking running about , so unless it is very cold I will let him be , Vest less.

Note that they also help can act as a buoyancy aid and some have extra lateral strips in the vest for this . It does keep them warm and the shaking and shivering impression is nervous tension , most of the time .

post-70158-0-74566100-1479923948_thumb.jpg

If I am shooting over decoys , I put the Vest on him . If jump shooting , or ambushing them in creeks and corners , he will be walking running about , so unless it is very cold I will let him be , Vest less.

Note that they also help can act as a buoyancy aid and some have extra lateral strips in the vest for this . It does keep them warm and the shaking and shivering impression is nervous tension , most of the time .

Like that there spaniel Gadwall looks very simalar to my nut job

Its the same as looking after your gun and other equipment. I hated to see wet, tired dogs thrown into the back of vans and cars at the end of the shooting day while the beaters and guns chatted for half an hour or more. I used to dry mine off, put a coat on her and have the car engine ticking over with the heater on as soon as the shoot ended. Then at home she got a dry fleece bed to lay in. I'm sure it pays off in the dog's prolonged health and working life.

Regards the dog not being able to shake after a dip while wearing a neoprene coat; don't worry. Most of the water will drip out and the rest will warm up between the dog's skin and neoprene coat. The dog won't feel the cold for long. I once fell out of my kayak in the North Sea in February. And I'd forgotten to seal the neck up in my kag. I got several gallons down the jacket and into my waders. Yet after letting the water out I went back out fishing for over six hours, still wet through inside, but warm enough to fish. There is a saying that cotton kills. It's true, but neoprene and polyester will keep you warm even if you are wet.

Hello M G.

I know all about Nut Jobs and this guy just does not stop , when he gets an idea into his head , that's that no amount of calling , hand signals, whistling or much else will turn him .

Combined with a little deafness and an I know Better and your with me, not I with you attitude . In many ways he is just too clever for his own good at 9.5 yrs I have just got to be patient and work around him .

He just loves being out and swimming and swimming and yes more swimming . Here he is trying to retrieve a Bass ,( pic pulled from a vid) having been told to get out several times . Fish was safely released , By me , lol. A new pup in the new year , a Lab for sure this time .

post-70158-0-54216200-1479941350_thumb.png

Hello M G.

I know all about Nut Jobs and this guy just does not stop , when he gets an idea into his head , that's that no amount of calling , hand signals, whistling or much else will turn him .

Combined with a little deafness and an I know Better and your with me, not I with you attitude . In many ways he is just too clever for his own good at 9.5 yrs I have just got to be patient and work around him .

He just loves being out and swimming and swimming and yes more swimming . Here he is trying to retrieve a Bass ,( pic pulled from a vid) having been told to get out several times . Fish was safely released , By me , lol. A new pup in the new year , a Lab for sure this time .

Mine sounds tame compared to yours then Gadwall but although she has me pulling my hair out sometimes I can not fault her. She gives 120% on everything she does and brings back her retrieves as fast as she goes out for em. All she wants to do is please me so I can't complain really.

Sorry to the O.P. for going off topic

Its the same as looking after your gun and other equipment. I hated to see wet, tired dogs thrown into the back of vans and cars at the end of the shooting day while the beaters and guns chatted for half an hour or more. I used to dry mine off, put a coat on her and have the car engine ticking over with the heater on as soon as the shoot ended. Then at home she got a dry fleece bed to lay in. I'm sure it pays off in the dog's prolonged health and working life.

Regards the dog not being able to shake after a dip while wearing a neoprene coat; don't worry. Most of the water will drip out and the rest will warm up between the dog's skin and neoprene coat. The dog won't feel the cold for long. I once fell out of my kayak in the North Sea in February. And I'd forgotten to seal the neck up in my kag. I got several gallons down the jacket and into my waders. Yet after letting the water out I went back out fishing for over six hours, still wet through inside, but warm enough to fish. There is a saying that cotton kills. It's true, but neoprene and polyester will keep you warm even if you are wet.

The issue is that when wildfowling, the dog is sitting long periods after getting wet and cold, then back in the water again, couple that with wind they don't get much time to warm up.

On a shoot dogs a lot more active so able to keep warm better.

My Cocker dog has the Jack Pyke one as pictured and in the winter on the marsh he is happier with it on but still sits on my feet to keep his bum off the ground. I tried some small amount of tarp but as soon as he gets wet so did the tarp rendering it useless and then end up chasing it around in any wind.

The dog will get wet but soon warms up,the knack with neoprene is skin contact they have to be snug or they don't work same as a dive suit.

For labs i think the Dokken one was the best

Edited by figgy

The issue is that when wildfowling, the dog is sitting long periods after getting wet and cold, then back in the water again, couple that with wind they don't get much time to warm up.

On a shoot dogs a lot more active so able to keep warm better.

It doesn't matter as long as the dog's core area is covered with insulation - neoprene or fleece for example. The body heat will be retained and that will also warm up any water that is between the body and coat. When I fell in while kayaking I was warm enough to sit and fish despite the cold and wind even though I was wet through under my waders and kag.

The point.