farmer got a drone

jcbbracken

the farmer I know is thinking about getting a drone to keep an eye on his stock he has 3000 acres and a lot of it is moorland he recons it would save him a lot of man hours looking for lost cattle our sheep also would be a big help in checking the fences and gates for any damage

“The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.” (Air Navigational Order, Article 94)

For effective crop protection, the farmer might need to spend all day and every day out in the fields watching the drone.

Would a drone actually be of more use to the shooter than to the farmer? Think of those times when you sit in a hide and watch pigeons landing on the other side of the field, and wish you could send something out there to make them get up.

“The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.” (Air Navigational Order, Article 94)

For effective crop protection, the farmer might need to spend all day and every day out in the fields watching the drone.

Would a drone actually be of more use to the shooter than to the farmer? Think of those times when you sit in a hide and watch pigeons landing on the other side of the field, and wish you could send something out there to make them get up.

You'd have your hands full, remove control in one hand and gun in the other!

I remember when motorised hang gliders first appeared, at the time I was shooting in north Kent and there was a workshop and landing field nearby.

At first the machines use to really panic the birds , cleared the fields for quite a distance and I stood in woods and had pigeons almost crashing into the branches to get into "safety".

A year later they almost ignored them, which when you assume the pigeons were not mainly residents, was quite surprising.

I had a hot air balloon trip as a "treat" for a significant birthday some years ago, we actually flew over a flock of about 500 flying pigeons and they didn't seem to care a bit.

They were probably related to the flocks of pigeons on the Army ranges that walk around eating the clover, etc., while the Army are trying to recreate Desert Storm about 50 yards away.

Unless he's out there every minute of the day, there's very little a drone will do to put off pigeons.

I know for a fact that they don't like radio controlled planes...

Spoilt a good day for me once.

Been thinking about getting one for reconnaissance work for areas I can't drive round.would save some time rather than walking the ground

The legal position isn't clear. If it has a range of over 500 yards, don't you need some sort of "pilot's licence!!

Away the Toon!!

went to look at some rape today see what the pigeons are up to . bad news farmer has got a drone used it to scare pigeons off is this the future i think this will make them even more jumpee

Farmers in my experience spend a lot of time by themselves and I think this fosters quite a black sense of humour.

So, the intrepid pigeon shooter turns up to check out the osr.

Mr farmer is standing in the field flying a drone around.

What's that for?

Oh, you needn't worry about shooting those ******* anymore. I've got myself a drone.

😂😂😂😂

Edited by Dr D

Farmer that owns the land that we shoot on is ****** off with joe public flying drones over his fields from footpaths and adjacent public land. He has asked on several occasions for us to "shoot the bloody things out of the sky".. Of course we would "never" do anything so rash and potentially dangerous! :)

Farmer that owns the land that we shoot on is ****** off with joe public flying drones over his fields from footpaths and adjacent public land. He has asked on several occasions for us to "shoot the bloody things out of the sky".. Of course we would "never" do anything so rash and potentially dangerous! :)

posted this back in the summer, had people flying the ******* things over my house and Garden, they soon go when you get a gun out.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/337870-drones-shooting-them/?hl=drones

From his footpaths without permission would be breaking the law, but from another field over his land isn't illegal, unless the person flying it flies within 50m of someone not under their control.

Please don't shoot them out of the sky, let alone point a gun at one. I can't stress how much trouble you could land yourself in.

I can never understand the prison drone deliveries , just shoot them down with solid paint ball ammo.

From his footpaths without permission would be breaking the law, but from another field over his land isn't illegal, unless the person flying it flies within 50m of someone not under their control.

Please don't shoot them out of the sky, let alone point a gun at one. I can't stress how much trouble you could land yourself in.

Of course I wouldn't ever do this I value my certificate too much to do anything despite what the landowner says. He is a bit of an old misery most of the time and I can see his point of view but its likely to be just kids anyway. Having said that a decent high powered moderated air rifle wouldnt cause much attention would it! :-)

(Just Kidding)

Of course I wouldn't ever do this I value my certificate too much to do anything despite what the landowner says. He is a bit of an old misery most of the time and I can see his point of view but its likely to be just kids anyway. Having said that a decent high powered moderated air rifle wouldnt cause much attention would it! :-)

(Just Kidding)

or one of these.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPtysfZiGp4

Thought a large drone might be ideal for placing "lofting" decoys in high trees ..... but would need to be an expensive hefty drone, a good pilot and wouldn't work when you want them on windy days.

Certainly doable using most off the shelf drones (You'd be surprised how much they can lift).

However, I can assure you it's not worth the hassle and how exactly would you get the decoy back down when you pack up? :rolleyes:

Windy days aren't that much of an issue, they hold position pretty accurately in up to 30 mph gusts.