English or French partridge difference

sishyplops

Hi all been invited on a day for pheasants and partridge , the partridge are a mixture of French and English , the keeper does not want the English ones shot, so I plan not to shoot any partridges ! But just in case what is a sure fire way to tell the difference?

As far as I am aware, English chirp a lot when about to fly any other tips apart from don't shoot at partridges full stop lol

Edited by sishyplops

used to shoot early season partridges at one time...and on a couple of shoots they used to rear a good number of greys......as the beaters pushed them thro they used to shout "GREYS"........but it was inevitable they got mixed sometimes ...and they were shot....the estate said "no big deal ...dont worry"..."it happens"........the greys and frenchies fly different...and if you have shot a goodly number of frenchies you will be able to spot the difference....

It's difficult sometimes on our beaters cock day last year we were told 'no English'

I had a great peg on one drive, out came the partridges, I picked the highest one over me and shot it first barrel.

Both neighbouring guns said 'good shot' I was well chuffed!

It dropped a fair way back and at the end of the drive I asked the picker up (keepers wife) if she found 'that partridge'

She held up an English and said 'this one?'

Woops

Edited by masmiffy

used to shoot early season partridges at one time...and on a couple of shoots they used to rear a good number of greys......as the beaters pushed them thro they used to shout "GREYS"........but it was inevitable they got mixed sometimes ...and they were shot....the estate said "no big deal ...dont worry"..."it happens"........the greys and frenchies fly different...and if you have shot a goodly number of frenchies you will be able to spot the difference....

He has not shot any hence the question.