Small Gauge Rough Shoot

Pykie

Yesterday saw six of us walking a few farms for a mixed quarry day. Thankfully the awful weather we have had recently had gone and was very pleasant to be out. As we stood around to push out an orchard, it dawned on me our team were all using either 28 or 20 bores. I slipped two Gamebore 25gms into my Rottwell 28 bore and waited. After a few shots from the others we had a Pheasant, a Rabbit and a Wood Pigeon in the bag. Nothing had come my way but as we worked a hedge, about ten birds burst from cover. I shot instinctively and had a left and right and just had time to drop another with a quick reload. All three birds were picked easily and after a bit further, two rabbits burst from cover. I fired the exact time my Dad did and both conies did a somersault in the grass stone dead. The day carried on like this, pushing bits of undergrowth and woodland. I shot a nice long Wood Pigeon and a couple more Rabbits. They seemed to be up on the surface and I expect with all the rain their warrens were flooded. A Drake Mallard was rudely flushed from a wet spot we stalked up on and a dose of Bismuth put him down. Final shots of the day resulted in a couple of Grey Squirrels shot from the branches and a lone Carrion Crow paying the price for nosing too close. We emptied the trucks and had a count up of 9 Pheasants, 5 Rabbits, 4 Wood Pigeons, A Mallard, 2 Grey Squirrels and the Crow. The smaller gauges certainly are up to the job.

328775E2-B007-41A2-AEE3-5BC9103EB285.jpg