Move to deer legal caliber (basc?)

fieldwanderer

Bewsher, you're a gent :good:

I haven't heard anything much yet - my referees have been contacted and temporary certificates issued but that's all so far

The cause for concern is the flo's reaction when (about 4 years ago now), after agreeing the .22/250, I asked to change it to .243 as the farmer had heard and asked if I could now thin some of the Roe out - as to how long he'll watch them damage stuff before I get the boot, who knows. Thankfully I'm on good terms with him.

Maybe the f.l.o. just didn't want to re-do the paperwork, we'll see - but, if I have the facts (kindly given above) at least I can stop him and politely question "why not" (in effect)

Edited by fieldwanderer

I've had my .22/250 for 3-4 years now and found very early on that I could have done with a .243 really as the farmer wants some roe thinning out.

When the .22/250 had just been granted, I asked to change to .243 but was met with the old story about DSC 1, mentors etc and decided to leave it alone. The conditions are fox and aolq and it's an open cert. I've had firearms since I was 18 and nearly 34 now.

So, it's renewal time and I've asked for a .260rem as my barrel's seen better days but I've a feeling it's not going to be straight forward so I'm considering joining the basc.

Do you think it'll help and, if they get involved, am I likely to have a harder time with the firearms people from then on?

BASC are a compleate waste of time in my opinion I had trouble a few years ago wanting to get a 243 even tho I had a 223 for foxes the police said I couldn't have both rifles as a 243 will do what a 223 will and more, but I said a 243 on some of my farms was over kill and wanted to keep the 223 solely for foxing, but I wanted a Caliber for deer, I phoned Basc for advice and help but they refused and said it was a reasonable request and I'd have to sell the 223 and have the slot turned into a 243.. avoid the Basc in my opinion.

Granted :yahoo:

Now the research begins; barrel lengths, contours, twist rates, b.c's, stability, load data, die sets etc

Thinking m24 contour at the moment, I don't want it overly heavy but not super light either

Good god what have we done😂😜

Buy a normal rifle for the job, CZ, Sako, Tikka, Steyr, etc etc will all do the job you want. A normal hunting rifle screw cut for a moderator and with half decent scope should get you going and shouldn't be too expensive :)

You dont need mentoring you have plenty of experience ergo they have to issue you the variation. I went through exactly the same and forced them yo grant what i requested. If you're stuck i can give you the meat of a letter to send them.

posted same time as OP

Edited by hawkeye

I think you were over thinking this one, don't worry about what hasn't happened yet Just put it down on your application and post it off, don't say anything in advance to flag up doubts that don't need to be raised.

If they had come back to you I would be surprised, you are an existing FAC holder and you have a permission. They wouldnt have any valid reason to say no, but if they did that could have been challenged easily enough..

The trouble with all this bureaucracy is that over time people start to accept it as normal and it puts people off asking for things

Edited by Vince Green