New ears, redux

CaptainBeaky

New thread set up, as there is more than my original post in the first thread...

Ok, the Durafix kit turned up, testing was done, workshop time has happened.

JCH_09.jpg

Second set of new ears, cast in place. I enlarged the original jokes I had drilled, and put in a pair of aluminium pegs (interference fit), then used the ali braze to build up the ears using the pegs as the skeleton.

I then filed down to fit, keeping the ears broad for strength.

The tricky bit was getting the trigger block to sit flush with the bottom of the action body - if it sits too deep, the bolt carrier jams on the top. If it sits too shallow, everything rattles, and jams.

This bit was interesting

There was noticeable damage to the top of the trigger block at the front left corner, next to the slot where the action lock bar sits.

I suspect this was caused by the bolt carrier, due to the trigger block moving up and down - I patched this with the Durafix as well, and filed back to the original profile.

You might also notice the shiny end of the action locking lever, which has been built up with a dab of weld, because that was also damaged, by the same cause - the movement of the trigger block was reducing the engagement of the action lock, causing it to wear on one side, and bite into the trigger block beside the action lever slot.

I discovered that Numrich in the US have quite a few spares for these guns: a new trigger mech complete for $124? A bit steep, that, but a new action lock assembly is only about $15, so I thought, "Why not?"

The answer was, of course, because delivery is extortionate! $15 for the part, $42.50 shipping, plus taxes on top. For that money, I can make a new one if necessary!

As it turned out, it was fairly easy to build the lever tip back to it's original profile, helped by the photos" the Numrich listing (see? It was useful after all :D )

I did a lot more polishing after this photo, but forgot to take any more photos until I had finished putting it all together.

Now all reassembled, and waiting for next weekend, when I can shoot it and see if this repair holds up. (Fingers crossed!)

The action is now crisp and solid, with no slop when the bolt is closed, and it hasn't lost that lovely slick feeling to the slide.

Next job will be to strip out the mag tube for cleaning and polishing out.

Due to the number of times I have done it,I can now strip the trigger mechanism down to its component parts in less than 5 minutes...

Edited by CaptainBeaky