How much on a bottle

Depending on what there tipple is. If they favour wine then a couple of bottles or maybe more, if there T total then I'll get them whatever there favourite Tea is. I think of what the permission means to me, there's no value to that that I see on the price of bottles.

I am in two minds about this as I feel that I am doing them a service.

I have 18 farmers and buy them all a bottle of Grouse and where there are brothers One gets a crate of Guiness. Total just under £300.

A mate who shoots with me a lot chips in a couple of bottles but its still an expensive time. Then I think of the cartridges and it pales into nothing.

A couple buy me a bottle. If only I got them early enough I could recycle them back :lol:

We take round a bottle of vodka and a single malt. This year I also gave him a dozen bottles of my homebrew ale which he was more chuffed with than the shop bought stuff. My Mrs will take over a batch of mince pies at some point too. He's a great bloke and a friend as well as the landowner so happy to keep him sweet!

Every year I take my farmer a bottle of scotch and a baileys for mrs farmer and every year he says "you really didn't need to do that" and every year I say "yes I know but I wanted to" his son said to me last year he's really chuffed you do that. Such a small price for the freedom of 1000 acres

I feel a token of your appreciation to be able to shoot on a farm, should be enough.

I tend to spend between £5-£15 on each farmer's bottle, and this is expensive enough for me.

This year I have started early, and I have bought a few bottles over the last couple of months.

if anything we should be the ones getting a drink off the farmer, i'm not being rude or disrespectful, but the hours that we can put in and also be at there beckon call when they spot any pigeons or foxes, and the cost of carts we pay. I will always offer a hand around the places but i have never been one to buy my perms a drink.

Before i moved, the permission i shot on the farmer is a life long friend so a bit different but I've always dropped him off a bottle or 2. Despite me being at his beck and call it's my hobbie and I only shoot because I enjoy it, so it's in recognition of that. That said I fully understand anyone who feels different, it's a personal thing I guess.

With some of the posts on this thread I'm struggling to see how so many people can't get shooting.

I pay the farmer rental for 2 shoots (the going rate per acre) he gets a bottle of sloe gin and his Mrs a bouquet of flowers.

On our xmas shoot day (xmas party) him and his son drink for free all night in the pub.

EDIT - I do think personal friends are different, although I've knows the land owner / farmer for 20 years.

Edited by markm

if anything we should be the ones getting a drink off the farmer, i'm not being rude or disrespectful, but the hours that we can put in and also be at there beckon call when they spot any pigeons or foxes, and the cost of carts we pay. I will always offer a hand around the places but i have never been one to buy my perms a drink.

I look at a slightly different way.

Without my permission I would be shooting at paper at 100 yards with a bunch of strange folk dressed in black combats.

I appreciate the opportunity to be granted permission to walk around the countryside, whether I shoot anything or not.

So for me it's worth a few quid for that. Some folk show gratitude some don't.

We're all different.

I guess its all down to how deep your pockets are and how many farms you shoot over, there are some shooters who can just about keep up with the cost of their sport and cannot afford the additional cost for gifts, if its just a couple of farms then that's not so bad but if you are covering 20 or 30 farms it can work out bloody expensive vermin shooting.

I look at a slightly different way.

Without my permission I would be shooting at paper at 100 yards with a bunch of strange folk dressed in black combats.

I appreciate the opportunity to be granted permission to walk around the countryside, whether I shoot anything or not.

So for me it's worth a few quid for that. Some folk show gratitude some don't.

We're all different.

Great reply,

I see it this way also, we are very lucky to be able to do what we do on other peoples land.

So a nice bottle is nothing in the great scheme of things , I've got 7 perms and each one gets a decent bottle of malt, wine and beer,

So what it costs me about £300 every year,

To shoot on 7 perms for £300,

It's a bargain in my eyes

Flynny

Perhaps you should tell your farmer how you view shooting in his land!

I don't think any of mine expect anything, but they always get an appropriate gift, as do their wives and children. It has cemented very good friendships with all of them and I value that as much as the privileges they afford me.

I expect nothing, the 2 regular shooters are on tap if I need them, I couldn't go on holiday if one of them didn't stay on the farm and look after the stock, they fence, build and help out hugely.

The 3rd shooter has the game shoot, he supplies game.

But that's only my situation, if they didn't do that, and if we weren't SO friendly, I'd find it odd not to get a card and a bottle.

I expect nothing, the 2 regular shooters are on tap if I need them, I couldn't go on holiday if one of them didn't stay on the farm and look after the stock, they fence, build and help out hugely.

The 3rd shooter has the game shoot, he supplies game.

But that's only my situation, if they didn't do that, and if we weren't SO friendly, I'd find it odd not to get a card and a bottle.

A Card?? Now that's expecting a bit much! I don't do cards (except for the wife of course) :innocent:

and hows that? i respect the land been shooting over 10 years and never had to buy anything also have a great relationship with all the farmers.. As stated i'm not being rude it just the way it works for me

Edited by roadkill

and hows that? i respect the land been shooting over 10 years and never had to buy anything also have a great relationship with all the farmers.. As stated i'm not being rude it just the way it works for me

All to there own, relationships are all different. Just carry on what fits the bits!