6s or 7s

kody

In my 410 I use Italian Fiocchi 8s, equiv to 7-7 1/2 UK. In my 16 gauge #6 fibre. For duck I load #6 ITX but it looks more like #5.

If I do my bit, they all do the job asked.

35-40 years ago, one ounce Impax 7s were the go to cartridge for driven and walked up shooting of pheasant and partridge and I don't believe they have become any tougher.

If you put the lead on the target it don't matter what you use within range considerations. This is illustrated by the fact that in post #5 the 410 and did the job and the 12's didn't. Years ago 5's were the favourite from a rat to elephant but then shot size ideas were smaller,more shot = better pattern. I once saw a clay shooter on pigeons and I couldn't believe how far away he was chopping the pigeons down like stones. It turned out he was using 1-1/8 oz of #8 Maionchi carts. I generally used #6 or #7 but when decoying near a tree where the pigeon would flight into I would use #5 or I found that although they would be hit hard they would fly off to drop across the fields somewhere. Don't forget non toxic on the duck.

I've used 30gm No7 through by 12 for our mixed Partridge and Pheasant days this year, I'll change to 32gm no6 from Christmas to the end of the season. Though improved Cylinder and Modified throughout.

Some of the guns on the Syndicate seem obsessed with heavier loads every year, two weeks ago one was using 34gm 5's and the other 36gm 5's. The shoot is in Essex and the birds aren't exactly sky scrapers. There was more than one cloud of feathers!

I have had a dozen walked up pheasant this week all to 32g no5 black gold. Everyone out cold and appear to be pretty soft targets. The ranges are closer but even with all the feather they go down easier than crows. Even when they are shot from behind they are down. Not quite the same with a high driven bird where you have to at least centre the bird if not head shoot it. Shoot a crow front on its down but flying away and some of them seem armour plated.

I have changed to using 32g 5's for most of my 12b shooting on pigeons, crows and pheasants. It brings them down much more reliably and the Fiocchi cartridges I try to stick to are about the same cost as other brands pigeon loads in 28g and 30g sizes. 32g gives you plenty of shot in the pattern.

I'll use 28g or 30g 6's in my old 12b hammer gun and 20 bore over/under to keep the shot count up.