SAT NAV

steve_b_wales

If anyone is thinking of installing a 7inch tablet in their car for NAV i can high recomend the Samsung Tab 7a.The GPS locks on as soon as it fires up running Tomtom app.(Wired into the car so turns on/off with the ignition)

We usually install tablets as media systems.The main 3 being iPad,Nexus 7 or Samsung, out of the 3 i like the Samsung the best.It works perfect with off line NAV apps and Tomtom app is perfect for this.

Edited by Davyo

• 2 weeks later...

I tried google maps but it kept losing map/freezing saying it needed data connection.Tomtom app for me on a installed samsung galaxy tab A in the car is spot on.When i pull up into the garage it auto connects to home wifi and updates if required.Find it very accurate but that may be down to a very good gps in the samsung tab.

Edited by Davyo

Have a look into a mobile phone app called Waze. I bought a clip for a couple of quid so phone can be secured to dash (air vent) and a car charger as it eats battery.

Had great results and because everyone that has it is connected you can give and receive live updates, speed cameras, debris in road, hazards ect.

Might be worth a look.

Edit: https://www.waze.com/

+1 I always use Waze great bit of kit.I wouldn't buy another sat nav.I don't even use the one in the wife's Audi when I use her car.

the phone maps are all very good until you lose signal,which happens a lot in rural areas,i use tom tom never a problem with the basic unit.

Once the destination is logged with Waze when it drops out your route is not affected.You can even set the destination then turn your data off and it still gets you there.Only thing you don't get is the live updates.