basc mag

kody

come on guys its not just your mental state they look into,i renewed my sgc in may,1 week before it was due they ring me oh you got prostate cancer you declared we need some letter from your doctor,havent got any says me but i have a letter from hospital stating i,m on a remote self managment program cos my condition is stable,had a call last week from manager of feo,s checkin up if my condition has changed any,still same says me,oh good she says will call again in about a year to check on you.so we should all be aware they are looking into everything.my sgc has been running since 1968 when the act came about.

So what happens when you're in a doctor's practice that has as many as 10 doctors are you never get to see the same one every time. The doctor that I am officially under hasn't seen me for probably 30 odd years because he talks so quietly that no one can understand what he is on about so I have always opted to see another of the doctors available. If any of them were asked if I were a suitable person or a bit of a nutter, all they would be able to go on would be the clinical prescribed medicine which wouldn't make much difference to any mental issue that luckily I don't suffer from. But something could happen in the future that might tip anyone over an edge. It's something more like psychological evaluation is needed if anything to determine if someone is possibly likely to happen to crack. Seeing as they can't get tommows weather predicted and Hillary. Clinton was going to be president or whether there is going to be snow on Christmas day the likelihood of any of this is small. But what are any of the orgs doing about any of this? Seeing as this is happening in Scotland what is SACS constructively doing about this. What would be a good thing would be for any org to open their mouths and say what they are doing.

I was informed by PS that my renewals (fac/sgc) was held up due to my doctor not responding to PS ,I phoned my doctor and explained about the holdup to my renewal , he then replied to PS and all went through after a lengthy wait , and there was no fee from my doctor.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

I was informed by PS that my renewals (fac/sgc) was held up due to my doctor not responding to PS ,I phoned my doctor and explained about the holdup to my renewal , he then replied to PS and all went through after a lengthy wait , and there was no fee from my doctor.

johnnie

Why didd you not refer PS back to your doctor and advise them that it was he that needed tp reply to them and not you having to chase the doctor on their behalf. How long did you have to wait from putting in the application and getting the cert? was it a renewal or a grant?

The perceived lack of a response or the genuine feeling of a lack of representation is the main reason new organisations spring into existence.

And round and round it goes.

I can see that but as in this thread there is no reply from any org, SACS being the obvious one seeing as this is happening on their manor and non of the applicants has come on here to state if and how anyone compared this new obstruction and expense of the doctors letter. It takes anything up to a year and more to get a renewal in some parts of the country so how long wil people be on section 7s in the future?

I can see that but as in this thread there is no reply from any org, SACS being the obvious one seeing as this is happening on their manor and non of the applicants has come on here to state if and how anyone compared this new obstruction and expense of the doctors letter. It takes anything up to a year and more to get a renewal in some parts of the country so how long wil people be on section 7s in the future?

I have absolutely no idea; have you actually asked your shooting organisation?

I'm a member of the NGO but I haven't asked them as I know they can do nothing about this, nor can any of the others. I can pay a lot more for ( debatably ) better representation but for the same level of insurance, so why bother?

I must admit I find it puzzling how some authorities can turn tickets over in a matter of weeks whereas others can take up to or longer than a year, and I also find it puzzling ( given the number of shooting MP's/politiicans ) why not one single MP or politician has come forward to complain and insist something is done about the pathetic service given to shooters. Unless of course they're either all getting theirs on time, they don't care, or there's a not insignificant amount of palms being greased. Who knows?

The current problems with doctors supplying medical information for firearms licensing stem from many doctors refusing to abide with the agreement between the shooting organisations, the government, the police and the medical organisations agreed at a Home Office working group. Individual doctors have either refused to take part, claimed a conscientious objection or demanded a fee.

BASC’s advice is not to pay a fee. Under the terms of Home Office guidance if the police have not heard from the doctor within 21 days they should assume that there are no medical problems and process the application. Constabularies in England and Wales are currently complying with the guidance.

There is a particular problem in Scotland where the police have insisted on medical evidence, despite Home Office guidance, and said that any charges imposed by doctors are none of their business.

BASC was a member of the Home Office Working Group. Since the problems have become clear BASC has met the Minister responsible for firearms licensing to discuss a resolution to the problem. Those talks are continuing. With regard to Scotland the Chairman of BASC wrote to the Chief Constable and that has resulted in discussions with the Scottish police. We hope that there will be an announcement by the police in the near future which may resolve the issue.

It’s in everyone’s interest for the firearms licensing system to have access to the best medical information. It’s in nobody’s interest if a certificate is obtained by someone who is medically unfit to own a firearm. The problem is that while there are statutory obligations on both the police and the applicant there are none for the doctor. In addition medical testing has been caught up in the disputes between the medical profession and the government. This is the underlying problem that needs to be resolved and BASC is working with the government to do so.