Bullpup PCP'S

bruno22rf

Can anyone explain to me the sudden popularity of the Bullpup design - has anyone ever actually missed a target because their barrel/rifle was too long? Both offerings from AA and Gaystate are the wrong side of £1k and, according to the reviews, could both be improved by fitting a mod? Isn't that another 5+ inches anyway? In close quarter armed combat I can see the advantages but sneaking up on a half witted Collard Dove in the yard? As for aesthetics - alongside the likes of the R10 or S510 US they sure are fugly.

Close quarters, around buildings, where you might be having to shoot through confined spaces, a bullpup is quite useful. That's the only real upside. I've felt a few and a lot of them are still pretty weighty and I don't find the Daystate Pulsar that comfortable or easy to move around. Carbine rifles are more my cup of tea.

Can anyone explain to me the sudden popularity of the Bullpup design - has anyone ever actually missed a target because their barrel/rifle was too long? Both offerings from AA and Gaystate are the wrong side of £1k and, according to the reviews, could both be improved by fitting a mod? Isn't that another 5+ inches anyway? In close quarter armed combat I can see the advantages but sneaking up on a half witted Collard Dove in the yard? As for aesthetics - alongside the likes of the R10 or S510 US they sure are fugly.

Bought a Brocock Compatto yesterday in .177 .... very impressed. Sold my four week old Walther Rotax RM8 .... did not like the magazine indexing mechanism. In my opinion a badly designed unit. Pity really as the barrel was as we all know brilliant.

They've been around for probably 30+ years so nothing new. Just that some of you guys here are still a little wet behind the ears lol.

I wanted to put that when i read this thread but thought it might upset some of the know it alls.

I have plenty of bullpups and a couple of tradition rifles, i prefer bullpups they are more practical for me.

Atb

Well it's a simple choice, you either like them or you don't. We can't decide for others, I myself like some of the Bullpup designs, but others are I bit naff.

If your using one for pest control and your out in the middle of the night ratting does it matter if your Rifles a thing of beauty I think not

Function over form everytime I have a Fx Bobcat .30 85 ft lb am I worried if you don't like the look of it probably not, it puts a smile on my face when I shoot 3 at a time.

I've always liked the bullpup or otherwise shorter designs just because they are (or were) different. Personally I think the Skan was 25 years too early. It's best feature is the way it cocks. Originally pump action via forend then via the grip. Much better than scratching round your right ear like some of today's bullpups.

• 2 weeks later...