Semi auto

NorfolkAYA

I was always told never pull the trigger on an empty chamber as the firing pin can be damaged by moving far more than normal travel, put in a snap cap if you want to leave the firing mechanism 'unloaded' ,

But in all my years of shooting I have always left the firing mechanism 'ready' , with bolt forward on semi auto's and have never had a problem, I do the same with my under over, as I have done for 55 years ( originally with my old hammer side by side's),

The last thing I do at the end of a shooting day and as I put the guns back in the cabinet is to open the breach to double check they are empty and put safety 'on'.

Before gun cabinets and all the strict gun control, when my shotgun was stored under the stairs and on my air rifle licence 10/- from any post office , I had small boys running around the house playing cowboys or cops and robbers safety was a way of life, I bolted a chain to the wall and had it running through the trigger guards and padlocked but still never forgot to check the breach before locking away.

Those small boys are now in their late 40's, don't time fly !!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Do you release the load on your cars valves too when you park it up??

HAHAHAHA

Springs will over time, lose resistance resulting in loss of power if stored compressed, tyres have no springs.......just air, so compression resistance cannot occur! Lol

I ain't sayin what I do (and why I do it) is right........but that's what, and why I do it!

I was always told never pull the trigger on an empty chamber as the firing pin can be damaged by moving far more than normal travel, put in a snap cap if you want to leave the firing mechanism 'unloaded' ,

But in all my years of shooting I have always left the firing mechanism 'ready' , with bolt forward on semi auto's and have never had a problem, I do the same with my under over, as I have done for 55 years ( originally with my old hammer side by side's),

The last thing I do at the end of a shooting day and as I put the guns back in the cabinet is to open the breach to double check they are empty and put safety 'on'.

Before gun cabinets and all the strict gun control, when my shotgun was stored under the stairs and on my air rifle licence 10/- from any post office , I had small boys running around the house playing cowboys or cops and robbers safety was a way of life, I bolted a chain to the wall and had it running through the trigger guards and padlocked but still never forgot to check the breach before locking away.

Those small boys are now in their late 40's, don't time fly !!! :yahoo::yahoo:

I never fire my hammerless SBS's on an empty chamber! as I too was told not to, for the reasons you give.......and after 50 years it's habit now! I'm also aware that some folk release spring compression prior to storage, by dryfiring their SBS and O/U's with snapcaps in.....however after cleaning and reassembly of a S/A, I always dryfire It before putting it away in order to release the pressure on the hammer spring.....I would not dream of putting my hammer guns away cocked.....but then again it's easy to ease spring pressure on a HG by manually letting the hammer down!

Unless I'm mistaken a S/A firing mechanism is designed so when the trigger is pulled the hammer strikes the firing pin (which is housed throughout the full length of the breech) directly in line with the cartridge primer, similar to a bolt action rifle?.....I was told dryfiring a bolt action rifle did it no harm?

Perhaps the rifle shots amongst us could comment?

Would there be any load, as theres no compression?

Yes if its the engines valve springs we are talking about, some will always be under tension however you turn the engine off. What about the leaf springs, the shock springs, various tensioners etc. Sometimes we worry to much over silly little things. Springs will have a life and can be replaced, unlike the world when Trump fills the larder in his bunker, rounds up his family and then presses that big red button. That said I always leave the bolt forward in the auto and open in the rifles.

Yes if its the engines valve springs we are talking about, some will always be under tension however you turn the engine off. What about the leaf springs, the shock springs, various tensioners etc. Sometimes we worry to much over silly little things. Springs will have a life and can be replaced, unlike the world when Trump fills the larder in his bunker, rounds up his family and then presses that big red button. That said I always leave the bolt forward in the auto and open in the rifles.

I dont have any choice concerning the springs on my car,i do have a choice concerning the springs in my semi auto,if they are released its a no brainer,they will last longer and do the job they are designed for.