They're on the rape

pigeon controller

Set out Friday morning at 10.00 to look for the pigeons for the weekend, by 11.30 I had found three fields which were worth setting up on. Checked with the farmers concerned and set up on the smallest field as I was on my own. Set up under a tree in the middle of the field as the wind was very slight and watching the birds feed they were using the tree as a stop prior the feeding. I had ten birds so eight on cradles above the tall rape and two on the magnet. I was set up and ready by 12.00 in the first hour I had twenty two birds. They were flighting to the field in twenties and you would get two or three break off and commit to the decoys. This was satisfying as you know your display is correct if they come in, all shot birds were added to the pattern and by 15.00 it had finished I packed up at 16.00 and picked fiftyone birds. I met up with Bunny Blaster on the way home and he had my ten decoys for Saturday shooting.

Saturday started out with DB at 08.30 and looked at some other rape on the way this also had birds on it but due to the game season is difficult to shoot. We continued out to the fields I had sorted on Friday and they had approx one hundred and fifty birds on both. We decided to shoot the one as it was next to a known roost wood and we could drive to the peg. We set the hide against the wood and using twelve fresh birds from the day before had ten on cradles and two on the magnet. We were set up for 11.00 and the first hour was rubbish with six birds returning to the decoys. We then stared to get birds to return but not decoy but commit then pull up high before the pattern but they were still in range also we had high birds from the wood behind us suddenly swoop down and then flare away. This made for interesting shooting. At the end of the day we had high birds going to roost which also gave some good shooting, so it was a wise decision to set up next to the roost.We finally stopped shooting at 16.15 and picked up seventy eight pigeons. I'm not complaining one hundred and twentynine pigeons off the rape in two days is a pleasing result.

ca8071af-8555-4996-9988-9ad299f694da_zps

d358b424-5aad-4b21-abc7-907912adac04_zps

First little session on the rape for me yesterday only produced a lowly 25....that's two cracking outings for you PC.

It's interesting that you setup a little later and shoot well into the afternoon, I find by 1.30 I've usually had the best of the shooting.

Hi Dave, if I shoot first light it usually over by 10/11as they need to feed out of roost. I would then look around and set up again mid day and shoot till dark.

That's a great result and an encouraging one. I had a drive round my permissions at about 8.00am Saturday morning and didn't see anything worth setting up for. I was back home for 11.30am. Maybe I was out too early!

A novices error.

Stay in bed until eleven then go out a shoot a few.

By the way, I haven't seen a report of your wild fowling efforts on the east coast yet.

That's a great result and an encouraging one. I had a drive round my permissions at about 8.00am Saturday morning and didn't see anything worth setting up for. I was back home for 11.30am. Maybe I was out too early!

Out of roost feed first light till full if not frosty, sit in trees and digest. If not disturbed back down to feed at 11.00ish. If disturbed find more food ( flocks) sit in trees and feed when hungry. Simple.