Fox & Shotgun?

buze

On my last pigeon shoot I saw a fox, at around 30 yards, immobile. I didn't shoot as I was moderately sure what I had loaded (30g 6's) would not be a sure kill.

Since then, I had about 50% people tell me that yes, if it's facing you, you could shoot it, and the other say no...

What's the opinion? Rules?

Normally if after fox with a shotgun i use 42g BB ,but my first was with a pigeon no 6 32g from about 25 yards many moons ago.It will kill at 30 yards it isnt getting up and yes the bigger cartridge the better for piece of mind .I saw 1 shot last month on a game drive with the same size cartridge atb

Shot a vixen last season at 25yds with 32g no5 and it dropped her that was during a pheasant drive. Do able but I would definitely prefer to use something bigger if specifically shooting foxes with a shotgun.

If in doubt don't! You did the right thing.

Edited by Jason_ox

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot the odd one with 32g no6 RC spies when roost shooting but they have always Been under 20yds and two out of seven I used both barrels to make sure. I normally have 36g bbs in my belt if I'm working up the shoot and happen to see Charlie. I've shot these at 35 large paces several times and they have always just died on the spot with the first barrel.