Stalking without dsc1

It's early days yet but thought I should start doing my homework.

The plan was to do my dsc1 and I did a lot of revision for it but haven't got around to it. Mostly though, I only need to help with a handful of roe on one of my permissions so I'd decided not to bother. The revision I've done would be plenty for what I'll be doing.

However, now that the variation has been granted, I've started to think about paying to get into some of the other species as and when I'm feeling a bit flush. Will not having the qualification put a stop to that or can stalking be found fairly easily where it's not a requirement?

I think the DSC 1 is worth while doing and as much as many put it down it will provide the novice with some much needed info but it isn't a legal requirement. If your going on accompanied stalks then you should be ok. If you want to tender for ground through the Forestry commission then you will now need your DSC2. You probably won't be allowed to go off on your own without it on paid stalking unless you can prove your experience.

Been shooting 70yrs, deer stalking 40yrs, guiding for ten years, carrying professionally for 14yrs. I want to know the CV of the examiner please. I am not against education at all but all of this was brought about by Insurance Companies and then all and sundry jumped on the money making band waggon.

I've been shooting since I was old enough to hold a gun high enough to aim straight, luckily my father was the same, taught by his father but deer are now more accessible and you neither have to be a gamekeeper or a man of wealth to go stalking. Many that now take up stalking have little or no shooting experience so the DSC1 at least gives some knowledge on the subject which is better than non. You will never beat years of passed on experience but that said, when I did my DSC1 there was an older chap there who had been shooting deer for lots of years, or so he said, it had been his job and due to this he was asked to take the test. He had to go back another day after failing his shooting test three times, how many three legged deer has he left trotting around or worse, maybe it made him sharpen up his act. :no:

I go "paid" stalking as around here its all dollar bills and get offa my land and its never been a requirement of any guide that you have it.I have got D.S.C 1 and would advise anyone going stalking to do it as it gives you a huge boost of common sense knowledge about Deer and identification of disease and other issues .

So yes paid stalking has no need for D.S.C but to me it gives you a good base of information then learning from your guides as your in the field is when your learn how to stalk the right way .There,s no substitute for experience but we all start somewhere atb

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't got it and won't get it unless it becomes compulsory, shot plenty of deer and not left any with three legs nor had any runners more than 20/30 yds (adrenalin), when stalking it is all about common sense, shot placement and back stop. Then when gralloching knowing where and what to look for as regards to disease. Just get out and enjoy yourself , be safe and enjoy any Venison you manage to get.

Atb Scobydog

Same here, was going to apply for a .243 only want fox,muntties & fallow. Not interested in any other species but am dreading putting in for it, god knows why. I think because I've read so many stories of people being knocked I'm expecting the same treatment before I even apply

I put in for a variation for a .243 earlier in the year. It was my first cf calibre. I asked for it for deer stalking and included a receipt for a stalk i had booked. 8 weeks later my ticket came back with .243 added. No interview and no silly conditions. Well done Derbyshire.

when I rang my FEO ( Gloucestershire) about applying for my first 243 I was told that they suggested I do my DSC1, I had ground with roe on it, written permission and I had experience going out with more experience stalkers ( without shooting though) I rang BASC and they suggested I go on some paid stalks and keep receipts for proof, or just do the course. Well I bit the bullet and did the course and am glad I did though I couldn't really afford it at the time. It still doesn't prepare you enough for when you have grassed your first deer,especially a bit one but it really is helpful. Over the years I have done my level 2 and am an accredited witness for the level 2. Many will argue that the DMQ's are just a money making venture for BASC and BDS, and maybe there is some truth in that but its open doors for me and allowed me to get involved in deer management on a bigger scale controlling Muntjac, Roe, Fallow and Boar. Without the qualification I would not have even been considered.

Hi Redgum, glad doing the dsc's has opened doors for you and helped you getting on to a bigger scale of stalking, do you think you would have got your cert without the dsc or do your feo's pretty much insist on it. Mine were happy that I just had ground with deer on it and didn't even mention dsc1 or 2, I also stalked on my mates place with him so had previous experience.

S

I have taken DSC2 people out stalking and they didn't have a #####y clue and I certainly would not have let them loose on their own on my ground. Had one bragging he had done his 2 and he was a guest of a friend of mine. He gut shot a fallow doe at about 80yrds out of a seat. Failed to wait until I or the shoot owner went to him and wandered off on his own, eventually shooting at the doe with absolutely no back stop and a public footpath running just behind where the deer stood, in fact there were people about 80yrds along the path, he then shot again at the deer and the bullet came through the hedge about 40yrds in front of me and cut a swath through the grass. All these DSC1s and 2s do is make instant experts and satisfy the insurance requirements of the Forestry Commission and other major forestry companies. Have friend who had to take a course to satisfy this requirement and found his instructor was someone he had kicked of the estate a couple of years before because he was useless.

Not sure about the course ds1

To be honest

No deer where I am but every day is a learning day so though I would go on the course and when the opportunity arose do a bit of stalking

Booked the course 4 days asked about accommodation yes no problem travel lodge up the road

Anyway arrived on the day

Asked about safe storage for gun none available

Just leave it in your car it'll be fine ☹️

Oh sorry forgot to send you the list of accommodation here it is nearest b&b £83 a night travel lodge nearer my house than the venue ☹️

Then we started day one it didn't go very well

The presenter spent most of the time telling us about stuff he had shot in 1980 (ego trip)

At lunch talking to the other paying clients discovered that only 2 of us had cf rifles and experience with shooting them ☹️

As we know the shooting is a big part of this test I personally think it is a big jump from a air rifle to a hired 243 ☹️

One proclaimed that he didn't know you could shoot of sticks and didn't know how 🤔

I could go on there were many more things on the day proberably best not mentioned here

Anyway that was when I decided to cut my losses and go home

So to recap

Good thing yes with the right providers

The one I went on had the potential sadly it didn't get there

So if you're booking research and recommendations

I did speak to the provider after the course and to be honest they didn't give a stuff (sadly)

I do wonder what tests they have to sit

Anyway just my experience of one

All the best

Of

Been stalking for a number of years, shot a deer or two. No problems getting a deer size calibre from Gloucester Firearms licensing, first was the 6.5x55. no mention of having to do any courses. Well, this year I have been shooting a few to many and have to put them though the game dealer, to do this I needed a 'trained' hunters number. Only needed to do the handling side of a course. But, what the hell, I thought I would see if I could learn so withing new so did the whole dsc1 course.

There was some interesting people on the course, ok they passed, no idea on their scores as its either a pass or fail, but after two days and still can't ID a roe doe from a back end photo, well!!. Not saying anything.

Yes the DSC is a great starting block but I do think it needs a little more as some of the people in there really should not be granted. The thought of it in fact scared the living daylights out of me.

Police want you to do the dsc1 course before granting a deer legle calibre. Some of these people have only held an air gun, the odd one haven't even don't this. And now, because they have done this DSC course they can walk around the countryside with a big gun.hmmm!

Ok, we all have to start somewhere but small steps I personally think.

Anyway, back to myside of the dsc1. Glad I did do it. I did learn a thing of two, I was sceptical before hand but the gent knew his stuff, very well put together and I came a way knowing a little more thanwhati did before I went in. Fully recommend and I will get around to doing the dsc2 when funds allow it and I can find a couple accreditors to witness. I enjoyed it and I think that's the main thing.

DSC is not needed can be useful but not vital. If your buy stalking the stalker should know what he's doing and be able to teach you a lot and over time you'll learn more from these guys (if their good) than classroom dsc1.

Only did dsc 1 myself as work required it.

im with daf on this one as i dont think you can learn as much in the classroom as you can in the field....and there is to much emphasis on theory now days over practical experience

also i think its a go to clause for the plod not to give you what you need

Edited by fruitloop

im with daf on this one as i dont think you can learn as much in the classroom as you can in the field....and there is to much emphasis on theory now days over practical experience

also i think its a go to clause for the plod not to give you what you need

You wouldn't pass the shooting test fruity

Me & my mate done the DSC-1 about 7-8yrs ago, it was interesting course especially learning from people who do it for a living day in day out, & IMO was well worth taking for that alone.

I have taken DSC2 people out stalking and they didn't have a #####y clue and I certainly would not have let them loose on their own on my ground.

On the DSC-2 subject, the quote above reminds me of a lad I know who gained his DSC-1 & 2 on a plane flying over to Poland, wonder if he got his from the same place the stalkers you refer to got theirs....

Hi Redgum, glad doing the dsc's has opened doors for you and helped you getting on to a bigger scale of stalking, do you think you would have got your cert without the dsc or do your feo's pretty much insist on it. Mine were happy that I just had ground with deer on it and didn't even mention dsc1 or 2, I also stalked on my mates place with him so had previous experience.

S

Gloucestershire were very reluctant to grant me a 243 without it and BASC were not that sympathetic. A mate told me just to apply for the calibre and protest if refused, as I did my DSC1 I can't say if they would have refused me but I no doubt would have had some sort of mentoring condition. That said I know a friend of a friend who got a 300 win mag as first rifle without doing the course, he had been on stalks and pig drives abroad and shot animals in just about every part of the body and shot a gold medal sika stag when roe were the only ones on the menu. He had receipts for his exploits and apparently this was enough and the carnage goes on.

Many seem to drag up a story on this topic of DSC1 or 2 holders being the most useless people they have ever shot with, so does this mean they would be better if they had not done any training, of course not they would be even worse. At least there is a basic shooting and safety test and the instructors are there to do just that, the test is just to see what's been taken in.

One problem with people wanting to do their DSC2's is that they just haven't shot enough deer to get enough experience, you shouldn't really being entertaining the idea until you have shot a least 10 or more. I have taken people out that have really struggled with the field grallock usually taking the back legs off and the butt hole.

The one thing the DSC1 does and that's give someone basic instruction on shooting and safety,that is surely better than nothing.

Gloucestershire were very reluctant to grant me a 243 without it and BASC were not that sympathetic. A mate told me just to apply for the calibre and protest if refused, as I did my DSC1 I can't say if they would have refused me but I no doubt would have had some sort of mentoring condition. That said I know a friend of a friend who got a 300 win mag as first rifle without doing the course, he had been on stalks and pig drives abroad and shot animals in just about every part of the body and shot a gold medal sika stag when roe were the only ones on the menu. He had receipts for his exploits and apparently this was enough and the carnage goes on.

Many seem to drag up a story on this topic of DSC1 or 2 holders being the most useless people they have ever shot with, so does this mean they would be better if they had not done any training, of course not they would be even worse. At least there is a basic shooting and safety test and the instructors are there to do just that, the test is just to see what's been taken in.

One problem with people wanting to do their DSC2's is that they just haven't shot enough deer to get enough experience, you shouldn't really being entertaining the idea until you have shot a least 10 or more. I have taken people out that have really struggled with the field grallock usually taking the back legs off and the butt hole.

The one thing the DSC1 does and that's give someone basic instruction on shooting and safety,that is surely better than nothing.

Here here better than nothing

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that wasn't aimed at me, Heron, but just to clarify.

I accept I don't know it all, I've been shooting for some 25 years now and firearms for 15 of them. I spent months revising for the DSC 1 to the point where I was confident of a first time pass.

So, to my mind, (although not qualified) I should be every bit as good as someone with a dsc1 under their belt. And, to thin an already fairly small number of roe on a relatively small farm - that'll do.

But, I can see stalking quickly becoming something I'd like to do more of - hence the original question.

More or less; will I need to spend the money soon (if at all) given my individual circumstances and what I intend to do.

I'm sure that wasn't aimed at me, Heron, but just to clarify.

I accept I don't know it all, I've been shooting for some 25 years now and firearms for 15 of them. I spent months revising for the DSC 1 to the point where I was confident of a first time pass.

So, to my mind, (although not qualified) I should be every bit as good as someone with a dsc1 under their belt. And, to thin an already fairly small number of roe on a relatively small farm - that'll do.

But, I can see stalking quickly becoming something I'd like to do more of - hence the original question.

More or less; will I need to spend the money soon (if at all) given my individual circumstances and what I intend to do.

As with driving, we all think we are good through our own judgement that's why independent people mark exams and not ourselves