A breath of fresh air.

aga man

After feeling a bit bogged down with work etc just lately i was very interested when JDog called me at the weekend and said he had found some pigeons on an old bean stubble.

He knew there was a good wind forecast for today to we plummed for today.

On arrival at JDogs mansion i was greeted with fantastic hospitatily. Not only did he and his good lady invite me and make feel welcome but JDog sacrifised his wellies for me as i had forgot mine. So togged up in posh Hunter boots we headed off to the said bean stubble.

The wind was great for decoying but not really in the right direction for this field.

Because of this we set up on two telegraph poles at 50 metres apart.

There was a good number of pigeons milling around the place but sadly they would not decoy today. We had a fair amount of shooting at passing birds which very tricky to shoot in the wind. I managed only 8 birds for 25 shots and JDog shot better with around 17 in his bag.

At 2pm we packed up and headed for a wood to shoot some pigeons heading into roost. The wood was magnificent and by 3.30pm a good few pigeons had returned to wood and provided some fantastic sport and few more birds in the bag.

We finished the day on around 30 birds which is great for this time of year. Those Lincolnshire pigeons once again provived some great sport and the company was just as great as it always is.

Thanks again JDog.

No picture of the bag but a couple of the lovely location.

The view as i arrived.

post-57269-0-27905300-1481138906_thumb.jpg

JDog packing up. Note the well behaved spaniel sat by the pole.

post-57269-0-32697800-1481138947_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

The bean field was harvested in October and the pigeons took a month to find it. This was the first windy day and the first opportunity to shoot them.

They were difficult as none decoyed and most wanted to land in the one half of the field which we couldn't shoot as it was too close to the village.

The roost shooting wasn't as busy as I would have hoped but I did witness the best pigeon I have ever seen shot, a pigeon at 50m plus travelling across the top of the wood in a strong wind dealt with expertly by my companion.