Diesel motorbikes

scobydog

In the pub the other night and the chat turned on to m/biking, the topic of diesel m/bikes came up and to a man they said no to owning one if they became widely available on the market. Anyway looked on the web and saw some piccies of various ones from a few years ago to very modern ones, saw a nice Sommer diesel bike constructed with various Enfield parts, so would the bikers on here consider one or is it a no from yourselves as well.

S

As I understand it, from the road-tests published over the years, the diesel bikes have generally been lashed up from diesel stationary engines and (usually) Enfield Indian running gear.

So what you get is a heavy, gutless bike with poor brakes that might possibly do 200mpg.

​Pretty soul-destroying really.

My ideal bike is nimble, fast and stops well (and I can live with 50mpg)

Edited by amateur

Don't the army run oil burning bikes and quads?

Armstrong bikes MT500 and Harley MT350

I thought that these both had 4-stroke Rotax petrol engines.

I believe that the US army was looking at single-fuel diesel vehicles, but whether or not any of these had been civilianised, I do not know

I thought that these both had 4-stroke Rotax petrol engines.

I believe that the US army was looking at single-fuel diesel vehicles, but whether or not any of these had been civilianised, I do not know

Your right I was sure they had diesel bikes though

http://klmotorsport.com/topic/11-mt-350500-parts-history-and-information.aspx (A whole 30bhp! Wow)

Seems they may have some http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1030_m1d.php

The M1030, M1030B1 and M1030M1 motorcycles are the COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf) Kawasaki KLR 650 modified for military use by Hayes Diversified Technologies. The M1030 and M1030B1 have been procured by the US Army, USMC, and the USAF. The M1030M1 is a program of the USMC. Since 2006, Hayes also produces the M1030M1E specifically designed for the UK and EU NATO countries.

Its a bit of funny time to be thinking about diesel bikes at a time when it looks like they will be fazing diesel cars and trucks out some large towns are going to be banning diesels by 2020 as the air is getting to polluted it was a big mistake when the governments encouraged people to go diesel a good petrol is much cleaner than a diesel can ever be I am saying this as someone who has a diesel truck and love it but I think it is time that we went back to petrol again.

Why would any manufacturer spend millions developing something for a very niche market (military excepted, who do have very special requirements)?

I cannot see any circumstance where I would buy a diesel bike (though I like my diesel car) and double overhead cams and turbos would only add weight.