Lacquer for Case Hardening?

nagantino

My certificate is away to add a pretty well looked after AYA Yeoman. It appears to have been made about 1963 or so. The gun has retained its lovely blue/amber case hardening and the diamonds on the grip are fine and crisp. Later Yeoman seem less refined. Any way, looking it over in the shop I could see that a lacquer had been applied and was wearing off. I'm going to refurbish the complete gun, with the exception of the barrels which are acceptable, but was wondering about how to remove and reapply the lacquer. A quick search showed a product called Galazan, but I cannot find a source in the UK. Also, I was given some Renaissance Wax a while ago.....would this be better than lacquer?

Try This::

Do it on some metal first to try it out..

Vaseline mixed with petrol,?..

Yes over the long term it will wear off,chips etc,like yours has done,,But,,

Use petrol to remove it and re-apply,does give some protection..

Used it on old wildfowling guns,stop rusting on the action and barrels.

Worth a look.eh..

My certificate is away to add a pretty well looked after AYA Yeoman. It appears to have been made about 1963 or so. The gun has retained its lovely blue/amber case hardening and the diamonds on the grip are fine and crisp. Later Yeoman seem less refined. Any way, looking it over in the shop I could see that a lacquer had been applied and was wearing off. I'm going to refurbish the complete gun, with the exception of the barrels which are acceptable, but was wondering about how to remove and reapply the lacquer. A quick search showed a product called Galazan, but I cannot find a source in the UK. Also, I was given some Renaissance Wax a while ago.....would this be better than lacquer?

Why is your certificate "away"?.............Where has it gone "away" to?

N. Ireland. We have a good system mostly. If I had walked in with a shotgun to sell in 12G, the dealer does it and I walk out with a new gun. Sell a 9mm, walk out with a 9mm and that goes for all same for same calibres. I'm buying but not selling or trading in so you must fill in the form and send it in with your old certificate. They are going to introduce a compurterized system in the next few months. All applications will be done on line. Has anyone used Galazan lacquer or know of a UK equivalent?

Galazan i think refers to a company, not a product. From what i can find Galazan used to make a kit for refurbishing gunstocks, in the good old USA .

See here. 4th post down. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386555

"Case Hardening" usually refers to a heat treatment that leaves brownish bluish blotchy colour on the action of shotguns and other treated metals.

Edited by peck

• 2 weeks later...

Foggy,

I can't find any real alternative to lacquer except Renaissance Wax.........maybe. Nail varnish could work and I am reluctant to spray anything as it runs easily..........but I'm still looking. The idea of a lacquer is good one as it will definatly enhance the Case Hardening colours.

Figgy........sorry .......predictive sod.