Air Gun Charging Cylinder Test

HAYBURN

Took my air gun 300bar 3 Ltr cylinder to get it recharged which cost me £6 the last time. the guy looked at the

tank and said it require a test at the cost of £54. I am sure the date of manufacture is 9/13.. I said to him

because it is a surface tank with a jubilee gun valve with dry gauge and bleed valve it gets tested every five years.

No every 2.5 years, the person how tests the tanks wasn't there so I said if it is 2.5 year then I don't mind paying for

it if that is the case (In my head I'm saying 5 years..

I leave the tank and my phone number, that was Wednesday. phoned Thursday to see how he got on women answered

the phone doesn't know if the tank has been done or how much.. ok I will phone tomorrow.

Had a look on several diving an cylinder testing sites an its 5 years

I sent off an emails to a company how test cylinders and was told i was correct a 5 year test

Phoned the shop today and got told a test had been done and it will cost me £54 pounds I told him the it doesn't require a test till 2018. he was adamant it was 2.5 years his words... you could take it away and start diving with it.

I stood my ground and I wanted to speak to the Bose i wasn't paying it and he hanged up the phone,, :unhappy: he must

have been the Bose :lol: What now :hmm:

taken from cylinder test sites

According to British Standards, diving cylinders require testing every 2½ years from date of manufacture, and surface-use cylinders (such as Airgun Charging Cylinders) once every 5 years. There are exceptions.

The simplest method to determine a cylinder’s use is to examine the valve fitted. If the valve has surface-use features like our Jubilee Gun Valve with bleed and dry gauge, you’re awarded a 5-year test. However, if the valve can be used for diving – irrespective of whether you dive or not – the test station will treat this as a diving cylinder and award a 2½ year test.

scubatechnician

Q. I’ve been told by other air gunners that my cylinder that I use to charge my air rifle only needs testing every five years but my local dive shop tells me that it must be treated as a Scuba cylinder and be tested every 2.5 years. Who is right?

A. The deciding factor is not what the cylinder is used for but the type of valve that is fitted. The HSE have confirmed the following:
If the valve fitted is normally used with scuba equipment then a visual inspection is required every 2.5 years with a hydraulic test every 5 years.
If the valve fitted is designed specifically for charging air weapons i.e. has a built in gauge and bleed screw will need a visual inspection and hydraulic test every 5 years.

I would refuse to pay .... surface valve bottle good for 5yrs

Tell the shop to ring mde ( midland diving equipment Ltd ) to get his facts right

Also I don't know the implications of him saying your good to go diving with a surface bottle lol

snipper, i should have made it clearer...He said it was 2.5 years and said how do i know your not going to use it

for diving..

that's were i got the first infornation from midlands web site, :good:

According to British Standards, diving cylinders require testing every 2½ years from date of manufacture, and surface-use cylinders (such as Airgun Charging Cylinders) once every 5 years. There are exceptions.

The simplest method to determine a cylinder’s use is to examine the valve fitted. If the valve has surface-use features like our Jubilee Gun Valve with bleed and dry gauge, you’re awarded a 5-year test. However, if the valve can be used for diving – irrespective of whether you dive or not – the test station will treat this as a diving cylinder and award a 2½ year test.

scubatechnician

The problem is that the test has been done, the shop wants it's money and you will not get your cylinder back until you pay.

Your options are limited. If time is on your side you could try the HSE diving regs people with a photo/ description of your cylinder for their views. Or you could contact MDE with the question whether a dive cylinder with their jubilee reg would constitue a surface use only cylinder. Whether the dive shop will be persuaded by either confirmation remains to be seen.

I recently ceased diving after 20 yrs in the sport. As a former BSAC instructor, compressor operator, TDI gas mixer and blender (nitrox) etc the MDE jubilee gun valve is in my view for surface use only (not that this helps your case - sorry)

If it's fitted with a jubilee valve with gauge and bleed it's obvious that' it is an above surface use cylinder with a 5 year hydro test interval , I used to test the cylinders when i worked for MDE for 13 years.

Mention Trading Standards when you next call them, ref charging for non required work, I think its called fraud.

Cheers guys thanks for the info, if i get a chance i will drop into the shop on Monday

update:

Dropped into the shop told the guy on the counter i'd dropped a cylinder in and i wanted to check the Date of manufacturer and it's 2013.

I said (I said he said) a test is not required till 2018.

i had printed of info from MDE, HYDROTEC AND A EMAIL FROM SOUTHER CYLINDERS and told him i wasn't going to pay it. i'm not

paying for something that's not required.

his Bose who is on holiday said if i was going down that road then he would ban me from the shop, excellent i said i'm happy with that.

I told him I need the tank for shooting and i'm going to claim for every day it's here when i need it (if i can) he offed to fill the gun when required.

the guy was ok ,left it with him and it's down to his Bose now.

Now iv'e heard they want to pass a law where all diving cylinders will require a visual test every year and a hydro every 5years.

• 3 weeks later...

I wen't back to the shop told him i wasn't happy and he wouldn't budge.I'm going to trade and standards . do what you want he said.

as time wasn't on my side and due to the holiday period i ended up paying for it. they had done a hydro-static test I said nothing :mad: and

paid the bill. £54

At least i have my tank back. i'm hopping to find out more info and send off some e-mails after the hols

post-12735-0-00372200-1483214018_thumb.jpg