fastest way to catch rat in attic

paul1966

last night we were waken at 2am by what sounded like a rat in hobnail boots running around our attic, i think i know where it got in, i left an opening in the outer wall downstairs so i am assuming it got into the cavity. i had poison blocks up there anyway as we tend to get mice moving in every winter, sure enough the blocks have been nibbled, i have put some more up there and also set up a fen trap baited with chocolate spread so hopefully tonight will be its last, but just in case it does not go tonight is there anything else i can try, would glue boards be worth a try, i need it catching before it goes in search of water, i have told the missus it will stay in the loft!.

I wouldn't use poison indoors. If the rat succumbs somewhere inside a void in the ceiling or wall cavity you could end up with a horrendous smell that lasts for months.

Best think is to use a glue board. That will cause its hob nail boots to get stuck so it will end up running around in its stockinged feet and that will be much quieter.

I wouldn't use poison indoors. If the rat succumbs somewhere inside a void in the ceiling or wall cavity you could end up with a horrendous smell that lasts for months.

Best think is to use a glue board. That will cause its hob nail boots to get stuck so it will end up running around in its stockinged feet and that will be much quieter.

That made me chuckle 😆 Edited by Delwint

My thoughts too, the fenn trap would probably catch it eventually but the glue board will get it quick if put in the right place.

I have had the decomposing rat in a wall scenario, took 5 weeks to clear the smell. :unhappy:

looking like a glue board then, only trouble now is where to buy one on a sunday, might take a trip to the local farm shop.

Snap traps will do the job if they are well placed. Usually wall edges are a good place to leave the traps, but check where the droppings are as that will give a clue as to the busiest routes. The traps are better if there is something to direct the rat into the sharp end of the trap. If the rat approaches an unboxed trap from the wrong end it could just be catapulted across the room instead of being trapped.

right two glue boards put down with a new spring trap baited with chocolate in between, our lodger did not seem as active last night and has took the last of the bait blocks i put down so i think tonight will be it, either i catch what ever it is or go looking for the body. it took all the chocolate off the fen i set and did not trip it, it is an old trap so may not be as sensitive as it should be. i have not put any more bait down today, will see what happens with these glue traps, i have heard they can be very effective.

i think i have caught the unwanted visitor, heard the trap go so got a torch and gingerly lowered the loft ladders, went up into the loft and shone the torch to where the trap was, only it was not there, my first thought was that a massive rat had run off with the trap, eventually i found the trap and on turning it over found....... a mouse caught by the tail!. after taking care of the mouse i have reset the trap but i am not expecting it to go off again. after thinking about it, we got the xmas decs out the loft last weekend and i checked the poison blocks and they were untouched, so i think we have just had the one mouse got in during the week and decided to have a party this weekend, we still can't believe how noisy it was but then in the dead of night any sound is amplified i guess. so there you have it the end of the story i hope!

if it's taking rodenticide, keep putting it down until it stops being taken, then block up.

Average rodenticide can take 7 to 14 days to become effective, and it only works if the lethal dose required to kill it has been consumed. Rats also have neophobia (a fear of new things in their environment and don't always trap that easily).

I would avoid glue boards until all else has failed. They have a tendency to get off them - and if this happens - they become even harder to catch ;-)

i am now 100% sure its just mice we had, i have now caught two in the space of 4 days and so far both in traps, they seem to avoid the glue boards all together. caught nothing over the past 3 days so hopefully thats this episode over, its still early in the winter so i am sure we will have more as we seem to have some lodgers every winter. have left traps set up in the loft and in the kitchen just in case.