Rescued an old cleaver...

CaptainBeaky

Cleaver1.jpg

Cleaver2.jpg

An old meat cleaver, rescued from the local tip, post a little sympathetic cleaning.

Stamping is, "England, Harrods Stores Ltd, Brompton Road", such dates it to between 1891 and 1920.

Anyone seen one like this before? Any idea of value? It's in fair condition, edge is quite blunt, patina fairly even. The Management suggested I reshape it as a stage weapon, but I'm reluctant to hack up something this old!

Could definitely be worth a few quid, especially with the 'Harrods' stamp on it :yes: Don't sharpen it or clean it any more, buyers/collectors like things in as original condition as possible.

I once found an old dirty brass object that turned out to be a 1780's Gunners Calliper,,,,, estimated value was circa £200. Sold at auction for just over £800 :yahoo:

Take it to your nearest auction house, or look online,,,, you might be pleasantly surprised ;)

Good luck.

Edited by JKD

Good cleavers to work with those but not legal to use in licensed premises because of the wooden handle and sterilization,

True,

I remember when they tried to remove all the wooden blocks and use nylon. They back peddled on that one, the amount of times the EHA were told about the contamination in the nylon I amazed it went as far as it did.

Nice cleaver by the way.