insurance

pigeonbasher1

how's about this then, i had to scrap my td5 disco 3 weeks ago do to rotten chassis, so duly cancelled insuranc, (nfu)

today i bought a suzuki grand vitara, rang insurer to put it on insurance, got quoted £1,374, eek, so had a search, and got covered fully comp for £606.43, iv'e got full no claims discount, HOW can they justify such a big difference

• 3 weeks later...

Some of it is simply the risks they may not want and thus they over-price to ensure it goes elsewhere. Insurance pricing is extremely sophisticated these days but there is still a guy or gall who says '...this is the business we want so add x% to all other risks'. My old company had real issues with young males - justifiably so I will add - so we priced ourselves out of this market. If you can get your hands on the DTI results for the top 50 insurers you will see they actually make *****r all out of motor insurance so shop around boys.

I find it best to pay car insurance well all insurance once a year I think if you do it on DD they just bump it up every year and hope that you do not look to hard at the renewal. This gives me the option of doing a go compare to see if I can get it at a better price just waiting for my renewal to arrive some time this month so I hope that I do not have to change companies but that is up to them.

how's about this then, i had to scrap my td5 disco 3 weeks ago do to rotten chassis, so duly cancelled insuranc, (nfu)

today i bought a suzuki grand vitara, rang insurer to put it on insurance, got quoted £1,374, eek, so had a search, and got covered fully comp for £606.43, iv'e got full no claims discount, HOW can they justify such a big difference

I have two questions I looked at your profile and see that you are one year older than me do you have health issues as I am paying much less than what you are have you tried doing a go compare search as it should not be as high as that unless you have been with the same company for some years if you have they take you for all that they can get.

On to the Disco I can never understand why a car/truck costing I am thinking £30-40-50.000 when new will rust out so badly in just a few years for that money I would expect the underside to be fully protected from the elements Ie galvinized.

On to the Disco I can never understand why a car/truck costing I am thinking £30-40-50.000 when new will rust out so badly in just a few years for that money I would expect the underside to be fully protected from the elements Ie galvinized.

So you buy a new one!

When you change car in the middle of a policy term, the new car always seems a lot more to insure. I think its because they figure they have you over a barrel and you are going to have to pay it. You are at the dealers, you have the keys for your new car, and you want to go home with it.

My father in law (bless him!) changed his car just before Christmas and the insurers wanted nearly an extra £1000 to cover the new car so he just paid it "because that's what they said"

I think there is a lot of that goes on

Edited by Vince Green

I got stung when I moved house same first half or postcode was the same, but they wanted an extra £80 quid plus admin fee! This was after adding an extra £70 to the quoted price as I had apparently not declared a claim for a named driver correctly

THe following year I avoided the comparison nonsense and saved 40% ish on renewal plenty enough to keep me in cinema tickets for a year and more!

Moral of the story is ignore comparison websites!

had a 2003 xtrail and I went with Tesco at £245 fully comp for me and the missus

just brought a 2012 sportage and they wanted another £150 for the remaining 6 months of the policy

so I have done a search and Go Skipy wanted £280 for the year.

I cancelled with Tesco and got £90 back and took the insurance with go skipy

if Tesco had said £50- £100 on top I would of stayed

Edited by bazzashadow

When you change car in the middle of a policy term, the new car always seems a lot more to insure. I think its because they figure they have you over a barrel and you are going to have to pay it. You are at the dealers, you have the keys for your new car, and you want to go home with it.

My father in law (bless him!) changed his car just before Christmas and the insurers wanted nearly an extra £1000 to cover the new car so he just paid it "because that's what they said"

I think there is a lot of that goes on

I enquired to change on the 27th, a curiosity call as i had not viewed the car, £77.01, now to buy on the 28th i would have needed a months tax at £25 ish so i waited till 2nd, insurance gone up to £101 and some pence. I believe they are way cleverer than we give them credit for, thay have is sussed from all ends, Go Meercat and the like, they are to glean the max they cna from you not the other way around.

70 years old, been with nfu 6+years got my home contents, static caravan insurance with them, no health problems, every time the renewal came up, like a fool let them carry on with it, when i queried the amount, the lady said its to do with your post code, when i stated ,i've lived at the same address for ten years, she quickley changed the subject, any way did another search with go compare and got fully comp for £304

70 years old, been with nfu 6+years got my home contents, static caravan insurance with them, no health problems, every time the renewal came up, like a fool let them carry on with it, when i queried the amount, the lady said its to do with your post code, when i stated ,i've lived at the same address for ten years, she quickley changed the subject, any way did another search with go compare and got fully comp for £304

Its the same with electric or even banks us older people tend to think that these companies value and look after people who have been with them for a long time but it seems they just take you for a fool and charge you as much as they can get away with as for banks they put you on the lowest intrest that they can.

I am pleased that you have got a better price insurance now.

co-op wanted £465 renewal for my discovery,, i typed in google" over 50s car insurance", co-op came up at £290??? spoke to them on the phone and they said it was an internet deal and would have to let my insurance run out, then take the new policy out on the internet...

It never ceases to amaze me how you lot try to compare premiums and consequently come to some very strange conclusions about price rises or differences. Motor rates are very very complicated. There are different rates for:

- age of car

- age of driver (s)

- manual vs auto boxes

- how you pay ie DD, credit card or in full

- where you live and how many miles you drive

- your driving record (accidents and convictions)

- what car you drive and how many you own/use

Etc etc and the holy grail - which they are working on!! - is the nut behind the wheel. And we have all seen the one who should never have been given a licence??

Seadog48 - you are right to an extent but I've stuck to one insurer for many years now and over time I don't feel I've been ripped off but then I'm 64, living in Norfolk, driving a couple of fairly boring cars and generally we behave ourselves ie last claim was 10yrs ago when daughter borrowed my landrover and rear-ended someone!

Seadog48 - you are right to an extent but I've stuck to one insurer for many years now and over time I don't feel I've been ripped off but then I'm 64, living in Norfolk, driving a couple of fairly boring cars and generally we behave ourselves ie last claim was 10yrs ago when daughter borrowed my landrover and rear-ended someone!

I think a lot of it comes down to how you pay if its once a year then they tend not to bump it up to much but if you use a DD then people may complain about it but it is two much bother to cancel it and change your insurer also if you have been with a company for a long time they see you as easy pickings.

I say pay yearly and also do a comparison to make shore that you are not being conned.