motor bike license

viking

Bloody complicated now! Is it any safer? Or is it £££cow?

I was more of a liability on low cc bikes on the road, always trying to maintain momentum. Just no slowing down as you'd have to take the next mile to get back up to speed! Always found bigger bikes a bit safer.

Good luck if you go for it, biking is a life force, it'll change your life!

I did mine about three years ago.

Already had CBT and theory test. CBT was £75 after some shopping around. If riding a 125cc on the road I assume you have a current CBT.

Phoned around for best rate for me and a friend, both had about a weeks worth of experience on the road with a 125cc. We also hit the books on test technique and practiced the mod one bits in carparks. We did all the free preparation we could.

Paid just shy of £400 each for direct access including test fees for a two day course. I passed with one minor, my mate with 4 minors.

At the time we were both pretty flat broke but time rich. As we were both coming to the end of that we wanted to get our licences but it was a stretch to afford it. After consulting the dvla figures for pass rates we identified a few areas where the fail risk was low, then phoned training schools in those areas. It meant a decent drive but did minimise the risk of expensive resits. Another friend doing his at the same time spent near £2k doing 5 tests in my local town.

Edited by Wb123

Man, it's expensive now. Cost me £9:00 when I did it, and lasted about 15 minutes I think. Had to ride at the side of the examiner as he walked at varying speeds, then do a 'U' turn. Then he sent me off up a street and told me to keep turning right until I ended up back where I started. I could see him waiting in a shop doorway as I came back round, stood with his clipboard. He stepped out and held his clipboard up so I did my 'emergency' stop. A few basic questions on the Highway Code and there's my ticket to send in. Was a doddle back then, glad I haven't got to go through it now really.

5 tests, jeez, sounds a really safe rider?!!!

In fairness to the chap his first three tests were at a centre with a pass rate close to 50%, i went somewhere closer to 100%. His confidence was shot by the time he moved elsewhere. Since then he has ridden much more than me and given i have now not ridden a motorbike in almost a year he is probably safer than i am. He also prepared for the test by riding around, not studying 'for the test' as it were.

whats a CTB? its something iv been thinking about dor a while now, and since iv watched sons of anarchy 3 times now iv decided i want a Harley, and a couple of my mates have them,

wouldnt mind a dyna wide glide,or a fatboy :good::good:

post-9513-0-86774700-1481736283_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-26640500-1481736338_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-44203200-1481737212_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

or top of my list would be this beast

With the first few pics I was going to say "oh dear", but this pic has me mesmerised.

Have had a few 'Cruisers' in the past ( up until last year in fact) but the commute was getting a bit boring.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and never desired a Harley until a few mins ago reading your post.

Get the licence out of the way- it's a laugh and fantastic 'bond' that bikers have.

Just don't get drawn into track days before long you will be racing and lying to her indoors about where the money is going,more so than shooting ever could

whats a CTB? its something iv been thinking about dor a while now, and since iv watched sons of anarchy 3 times now iv decided i want a Harley, and a couple of my mates have them,

wouldnt mind a dyna wide glide,or a fatboy :good::good:

cbt=compulsory basic training

####### auto correct, must find out how to turn it off.

Edited by Luckyshot

cbt=compulsive basic training

Compulsive in that you book it after listening to some magnificent machine and going 'I want one', also compulsory in that you have to have it before you can sit any of the tests.

Its a one day course usually consisting of a morning in a playground with some cones getting to grips with the basic controls then an afternoon on the road. Price anywhere from £70-£160.

Whatever you do, don't buy one simply cos it's the same colour as your car then realise that you cannot get your leg over the beast :whistling:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgTXGHyLhIPc3kyMDFaQWluNjQ/view?usp=sharing Poor thing's been sat in my shed for 2 years :no:

How come you can't get on the Ducati? They are not exactly tall nor wide in the seat.