motor bike license

viking

i did a mock theory test online a few week ago as my mate at work was going in for his car test, i got 48/50 and some of the questions were ridiculous and didnt even make sence.

one of the questions were something like, what must you not do when your in a tunnel, 1. turn your lights on, 2, turn your radio off, 3 flag other motorists down, 4, take all your clothes off and run around shouting YIPEEEE :lol::lol:

i did a mock theory test online a few week ago as my mate at work was going in for his car test, i got 48/50 and some of the questions were ridiculous and didnt even make sence.

one of the questions were something like, what must you not do when your in a tunnel, 1. turn your lights on, 2, turn your radio off, 3 flag other motorists down, 4, take all your clothes off and run around shouting YIPEEEE :lol::lol:

There is some spectacular stuff in the theory test. Not using tinted visors or warming hands on the exhaust while riding for instance.

The hazard perception is the only bit worth spending much time preparing for.

John_R - i'm barely 5'6" and 29" leg....the 996 has no provision to lower the seat height, I can just reach the floor but not steady enough to man handle the beast - lowered my previous bikes ( cbr900, zzr1100, gsxr1000) by fitting dog legs into the suspension linkages but these are not available/possible on the Duke.

Can't the spring not be shortened?

We went to the DGR in London and I was impressed by how many girls were riding huge bikes just able to tip toe along when they stopped.

I guess you have seen the midget on a bike video a hundred times :)

Viking - have a look at Harley 48's if you like sort of thing. I am not a fan generally but the stripped down ones aren't too bad.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything with tassels on though :lol:

Whatever you do, don't buy one simply cos it's the same colour as your car then realise that you cannot get your leg over the beast :whistling:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgTXGHyLhIPc3kyMDFaQWluNjQ/view?usp=sharing Poor thing's been sat in my shed for 2 years :no:

Hoping your legs might grow ? ? :) Edited by TaxiDriver

John_R - i'm barely 5'6" and 29" leg....the 996 has no provision to lower the seat height, I can just reach the floor but not steady enough to man handle the beast - lowered my previous bikes ( cbr900, zzr1100, gsxr1000) by fitting dog legs into the suspension linkages but these are not available/possible on the Duke.

I did wonder as I have a Ducati 749 and cope fine with my 30" leg. My other half is short/petite and tiptoed with a few bikes till she found a CBR400RR that was pretty much perfect.

Can't the spring not be shortened?

We went to the DGR in London and I was impressed by how many girls were riding huge bikes just able to tip toe along when they stopped.

I guess you have seen the midget on a bike video a hundred times :)

Viking - have a look at Harley 48's if you like sort of thing. I am not a fan generally but the stripped down ones aren't too bad.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything with tassels on though :lol:

So I'd best cross this off my list then

This is nice.

My mate has a 48. The bike looks normal size. My mate is normal size. But when he gets on it it looks tiny. It's weird.

post-9513-0-82025800-1481843980_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-60581500-1481844028_thumb.jpg

Man, it's expensive now. Cost me £9:00 when I did it, and lasted about 15 minutes I think. Had to ride at the side of the examiner as he walked at varying speeds, then do a 'U' turn. Then he sent me off up a street and told me to keep turning right until I ended up back where I started. I could see him waiting in a shop doorway as I came back round, stood with his clipboard. He stepped out and held his clipboard up so I did my 'emergency' stop. A few basic questions on the Highway Code and there's my ticket to send in. Was a doddle back then, glad I haven't got to go through it now really.

Sounds like my test. I did mine in the school summer holiday in 1967 and passed aged 16 and 2 weeks. Rocked up to school in September astride my Lambretta LD150 thinking I was the coolest kid in the 6th form.

Edited by PhilR

Throttle works both ways!

Yeh on or off :lol: go for the test, I did mine and in total it was about £750. Everything got accounted for. The Cbt, theory, 1 test session to see how.many bad habits if picked up, 1 lesson for mod 1 and 1 lesson for mod 2 with both tests. I was riding on a daily basis when I did it though. Had it about 5 years now? Currently on a ktm 525 mxc desert racing edition, had various sports bikes and supermoto's but I love the mud to much... my gf needed some pictures for a photography course in uni so she took some of me. I said 'Don't stand behind me' she and her camera got roosted. You could see the mud flying towards her camera when she was taking photos in burst :lol: you can keep your Harleys aswell. Motocross and enduro is my cup of tea 👍

If you have a full car licence do you still have to do the theory test?

I'm "qualified" for a moped. What about the CBT I've never done? And is a moped still 50cc or has that changed as well over the years?

I also understand that you can ride on L plates on a bike bigger that 125cc, it's all most confusing.

I was trying to find the .gov 'how to get into this' flow chart - edit: found it:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/568266/routes-to-your-motorcycle-licence.pdf

If you have a car licence you can ride a moped without L plates only.

I don't think you can ride a 125 until you have completed a CBT and theory test.

If you then don't complete the other 2 tests inside 2 years you have to do your CBT again.

They love the Pizza delivery guys as they never take their tests so they have a steady flow of CBT re-takes all year round

25 years ago when i passed my car test i could and did ride a 125cc on the road with L plates, i has a yamaha DT 125R, power valve turned, restrictor out of the exhaust and pover valve reads, went like a moto cross, naughty but there you go, and i also had a honda NSR 125, crashed that and broke my leg, then crashed the DT a year later when my leg was better and tore the ligaments in my knee, never been on a road bike since, and if im brutally honest with myself, probably never will again, not with all these ******* drivers messing about with there phone in there cars, im sure im not the only one but with my job i do a fair bit of driving about and you wouldnt believe the amount of people i see on there phones, texting, not paying any kind of attention, its as bad as drink driving in my book and should be delt with the same way, a ban :no::no::no:

A lot of people blame the car drivers these days but bikers are also at fault, I passed my bike test 17 years ago and got a vfr400 nc30 for my first bike. 4 months later my best mate bought a zx6 and asked me f I wanted a go, roll on a week later and I had a zx6. I was still only 21 and was out every night and weekend on my bike and put 21,000 miles on it in 8 month, when I turned 22 I went out and bough a 3 month old R1 and that was my guilty pleasure always riding in the triple figures and regularly had it flat out (restricted to 186 mph) that was just what we did. I could wheelie that bike at 150mph plus all day long and had few scary moments on that bike.

I stopped riding after that until my 26th birthday when I bought myself a brand new GSXR1000, had that for a year then realised I'm either going to prison or going to die. Never had a bike since. Riding at 180mph plus I soon realised that I wasn't going to live forever.

A lot of people blame the car drivers these days but bikers are also at fault, I passed my bike test 17 years ago and got a vfr400 nc30 for my first bike. 4 months later my best mate bought a zx6 and asked me f I wanted a go, roll on a week later and I had a zx6. I was still only 21 and was out every night and weekend on my bike and put 21,000 miles on it in 8 month, when I turned 22 I went out and bough a 3 month old R1 and that was my guilty pleasure always riding in the triple figures and regularly had it flat out (restricted to 186 mph) that was just what we did. I could wheelie that bike at 150mph plus all day long and had few scary moments on that bike.

I stopped riding after that until my 26th birthday when I bought myself a brand new GSXR1000, had that for a year then realised I'm either going to prison or going to die. Never had a bike since. Riding at 180mph plus I soon realised that I wasn't going to live forever.

That's why I'm not aloud another sports bike. Mrs said if I got one she would go mad. If I jumped on a bike that could do 180mph I'd do it. Il stick with dirtbike, at least that's only 100mph off road... to.the op, just get your test done :lol:

That's why I'm not aloud another sports bike. Mrs said if I got one she would go mad. If I jumped on a bike that could do 180mph I'd do it. Il stick with dirtbike, at least that's only 100mph off road... to.the op, just get your test done :lol:

That's why mine went the journey, you don't buy a litre sports bike just to toddle round town on.

Go for it Viking, I love getting out and about on my bikes. Be warned though it is adictive, my wife thinks I have a motorbike breeding plan as the numbers just keep going up. I am currently looking for number 4 possibly a large trials machine this time.

4! You're not even trying. A mate of mine over Sheffield way has about 30+ I forget exactly how many. He restores old Excelcior bikes, arial arrows, black bombers and so on, mainly vintage type stuff but he goes to the TT with his Bandit 1300 I think