Cooking programmes

fortune

I am just watching master chief and is it just me but all of the meat that they shovel out seem to be raw. They just seem to roll it about in the pan using their fingers so it can't be that hot. When they cut into the meat blood comes out. Now I couldn't and wouldn't eat it. Is this some sort of economy measure to whack the grub out and get the next customers to the trough sort of like second sitting. They recon that it's fantastic but I don't. I don't shoot a pigeon, pluck it and leave it on the car radiator on the way home ready to whop out on the plate when I get home. What do you think about this?

Always have rare steak, pink lamb and pigeon. Love a beef carpaccio or tartare.

If you think the red liquid coming out the steak is blood you're very wrong, it's not blood, it's myoglobin. Red meat and white meat is distinguished mostly by this, the more myoglobin the redder the meat.

A few years ago it was the thing that the veg was being over cooked and suddenly all veg was being churned out on the plate virtually uncooked. I remember going into a Pub for lunch and the Carrots and all of the veg were so solid that everyone's lunch was being sent back to the kitchen because the customers had gone there for a cooked meal and not a load of uncooked food. I have seen this with meat that is rare being served at carvaries where (myoglobin)is running out of the meat like it has just been hacked down in the field out the back. The chief at one place was getting a bit raw himself because every customer wanted him to cook it some more. It was only a few years ago that we had the BSE crisis and no one would eat beef at all. Seeing the cooking standards and knowledge of some of the supposed HEAD chiefs on master chief it's a wonder that more people don't go down with E. coli, salmonella or listeria. I must admit that there are limits and mother used to cook beef which would have made decent boot soles suitable for a 50 mile route march. Sorry Mum.

Out here steaks are always served almost raw and wobbly. I can't do with it. Then there is steak tartar that is raw mince mixed with a raw egg. :oops:

Whenever I order an entrecoate steak I always ask for it to be "medium a Anglais" and sometimes they actually do cook the meat rather than just wave it over a candle. I don't mind beef, duck and venison pink in the middle, but it has to be pink and not red. The other day Monika Wassname on Masterchef said that tuna steak had to be raw in the middle. Not for me! I'm not into that Sushi business at all.

When I was a barman in a steak house the grill chef there once told me about blue and 'french blue' steaks. It never crossed my mind to check it until now so I think he may have been misinformed as it seems there is no such thing as 'French blue'. The way he described how a steak should be cooked french blue was to put the steak on a plate and take a slow walk through a warm room. Presonally I like mine rare to medium rare.

I like my duck, lamb and pigeon served pink and my fish just about cooked through, apart from maybe tuna. I don't mind a bit carpaccio beef or tuna. I have also heard that pork can also be served rose but I think this applies to livestock having been reared unnaturally as they are less prone to getting parasites, etc.

I use a meat thermometer that works via Bluetooth to the oven, roast pork is at a safe temperature and is slightly pink all the time when cooking is finished.

I wouldn't trust to do this without a thermometer.

I can't think of anything much more delicious than a carpaccio, with capers and a white Rioja, in the right place and with the right weather!

Love my steak rare and have eaten it blue and even raw in good restaurants.

With you there mate. Nothing better than a good blue steak or steak tartare.

I use a meat thermometer that works via Bluetooth to the oven, roast pork is at a safe temperature and is slightly pink all the time when cooking is finished.

I wouldn't trust to do this without a thermometer.

I can't think of anything much more delicious than a carpaccio, with capers and a white Rioja, in the right place and with the right weather!

The brother in law has that. A wireless thermometer that talks to the oven.

The roast beef it can produce is spectacular.

A few years ago it was the thing that the veg was being over cooked and suddenly all veg was being churned out on the plate virtually uncooked. I remember going into a Pub for lunch and the Carrots and all of the veg were so solid that everyone's lunch was being sent back to the kitchen because the customers had gone there for a cooked meal and not a load of uncooked food. I have seen this with meat that is rare being served at carvaries where (myoglobin)is running out of the meat like it has just been hacked down in the field out the back. The chief at one place was getting a bit raw himself because every customer wanted him to cook it some more. It was only a few years ago that we had the BSE crisis and no one would eat beef at all. Seeing the cooking standards and knowledge of some of the supposed HEAD chiefs on master chief it's a wonder that more people don't go down with E. coli, salmonella or listeria. I must admit that there are limits and mother used to cook beef which would have made decent boot soles suitable for a 50 mile route march. Sorry Mum.

Fads is what they are. And this 'Al dente' **** gets on my goat. I listened to this phrase at the outlaws dinner table being used over and over ' all said with an air of some kind of vast knowledge and superiority until one day I couldnt take it anymore and piped up and said to a table full of Urbinites and which got a muted response. Aye thats the phrase the Italians use for it.! We have one we use in the country and that is 'Their as hard as a goats Knee". Didnt go down to well at all.

The thing with any Kind of Meat that is cooked pink in the middle is to let it rest and any of the juices that runs are then put into the sauce/gravy. I personally like my steak's medium/medium well.

same with duck or venision..pink in the middle but well rested.

I used to have a habit picked up from my Father and that was eating a few bit's of Good quality minced beef from the butchers whilst prepping it for a meal delicious.

WP_20151117_19_08_17_Pro_zpsba20gwpn.jpg

WP_20151117_19_02_31_Pro_zps54kqvjbk.jpg[/url]

WP_20151117_19_02_31_Pro_zps54kqvjbk.jpg

Edited by SuperGoose75

Its a well known fact that we eat with our eyes, If it doesn't look like we will like it because we can see the rareness of the meat we wont put it in our mouths. A well hung piece of meat (28 days) should not bleed to much when cooking. I don't know how long the supermarkets have there meat hung for before putting out onto the shelves but it should not be as red as it usually is, I always get my meat from a butchers and it already has a bluish tinge to it. Try a blind tasting of quality rare cooked meat and you will notice a great difference . Its what we have become used to from an young age. Also covering a sauce all over a nice bit of steak is a no no as all you can taste is the sauce. If having a sauce with a steak I have it at the side and dip into it.

A good vet can get my cow off the plate and back on its feet :lol:

As ever its each to their own but I'm not buying this steak over the sauce 'All you can taste is the sauce malarkey.

I love a good steak and could happily eat a well seasoned steak wothout any accompaniments.

How is dipping a piece of meat into a sauce any different than having a sauce over your meat..? There are many ways of Cooking Steak and one of the most recognised is to sear in a very hot pan therefore creating a Crust on your Steak. A cooked Steak is not like a sponge therefore it doesnt soak up any sauce the way an uncooked piece of meat that is left for a period of time in a marinade would.

It all sounds very grand having a dipping sauce at the side for dipping but in all reality it doesnt change a thing and anyone that says different I would put down to hearsay or having poor taste buds.