Which CENS

dazb1967

I'm going to treat myself to a pair of the above but can't make my mind up which ones, Has anyone bought the Proflex Passive and then upgraded by adding the digital module and If so was there much of a difference.

I already have the motorbike type mouldable earplugs and I have a never ending supply of the disposable earplugs I just fancy treating myself and seeing If I can save the last of what hearing I have left.

I know the CENS thing has been covered before and I have researched it on this forum and the internet in general but curious to know about the upgrade option.

I started out with the passive Cens , but it wan''t long before I upgraded . I felt I was still hearing too much when shooting my maxus .

Electric ones are going well And are perfect on driven day as you can just leave them in all day

On the other hand, I have passive CENS and have no desire to upgrade them, they work fine for me as they are. I guess it's all down to how you perceive the sound attenuation, personally. Start off with passives and then upgrade the inserts if you feel the need.

I trialed a pair of non custom cens on a ground before I made up my mind. To me there was no question that I as going to electronics from the start (with custom molds at that point). I only use the passives now if it is properly chucking it down with rain. I hate not being able to hear and the passives kill everything to me. With the electronics in I can hear the beaters tapping on trees a quarter mile away that I'd never hear without them in. Same goes for rustling ducks and geese when they are just waking up on a roost lake some distance away. It absolutely drives me nuts now when I don't have them in.

thanks

rick

Like most other choices it's down to what you intend to use these for.

I started with passives and found them a lot better than over ear protectors, other ear plugs and the Napier head band types.

I then decided to upgrade to digital inserts and ordered them with another set of moulds, I did this within a year of getting the original passives since I was informed that CENS keep the ear mould pattern for a year before discarding it.

So to the digitals.

I upgraded due to wanting to hear better when:

• shooting with a dog on a shoot one/stand one basis and being aware of what's going on around me
  • keeping comfortable hearing and protection in place for longer periods
  • keeping up with conversations on clay shoots
  • listening for game flushing
  • listening for wildfowl

CENS digitals out perform the passives in all of the above in my experience. I keep the passives as spares and use them at the range when concentrating on target shooting.

Just don't do what I did, I chose Camo Colour........... Then I dropped them. I now use foam. Passive are good though.,

I chose bright orange for both for exactly that reason. I don't care if people can see them in my ears and that little bit of orange doesn't matter when you're wearing a facemask or hat (which I am if I really care about concealment.

The only difference in mine are that the covers are red and orange (red for right ear).

rick

Orange for me too ... and I've had to find them in the mud!!

I did have the on/off switch snap off one morning a month or so ago ... they got them turned round quite quickly and the charges were not as excessive as I thought they were going to be.

dazb ... if it's clays you're into, then the passives will be fine (I have some 'squidgy' ones) ... for any type of fowling/game shooting ... you'll enjoy the additional hearing that the electronic ones give you.

S

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen the electronic module they do for about £200 compared to the £400+ version , does anyone use them?

As I understand it the new ProflexDigital 1e range give the same performance as the normal proflex digital 1. The biggest difference it that it doesn't have a rotary volume control but acually a push button that allows you to set one of four volume levels.

I had originally ordered a set but as mentioned above, my ears are not suitable for any in the profelx range so I have ordered the Cens Acrylic Digital

I know this is not what you asked but hope it helps.

Orange for me too ... and I've had to find them in the mud!!

I did have the on/off switch snap off one morning a month or so ago ... they got them turned round quite quickly and the charges were not as excessive as I thought they were going to be.

dazb ... if it's clays you're into, then the passives will be fine (I have some 'squidgy' ones) ... for any type of fowling/game shooting ... you'll enjoy the additional hearing that the electronic ones give you.

S

Mainly used for Pigeons but will be used for the odd Pheasant shoot, I picked the passives up a couple of weeks ago but doe to working away I've never had the chance to use them