Rabbits

ShootingEgg

I have just got some new ground, its full of rabbit.. I have been and looked round and have decided that air is the only safe option. My main concern is that it is an old chicken farm where the barns are now all lockups or work units, so there are gravel tracks everywhere.

I went down this evening and saw about 15 bunnies happily on one of the lawns between two units. Great I thought, bit of shooting to be had. Made my way to the corner of the unit. Got into place, lamp on.... Lawn empty. So I moved on round. But the gravel no matter how carefully i walked was noisey. I ended up getting one for the pot and then met a mate at the pub.

Any ideas on how i could get around the gravel issue, as need to get in range for a standard air rifle.

Edited by ShootingEgg

It sounds like this is a night vision ambush job ,get youself a nv scope from DaveG on here

then get in position just as darkness takes over i use a camping stool and tripod shooting sticks

and my nite site wolf nv on my fac ,.air ---.22 daystate airranger @37fpe,

you will have to do a lot of target shooting with the nv because ranging at night is difficult

unless you have nv laser range finder which are available on ebay

for bunnies on my small permissions i use my daystate huntsman .20 at 11.5 fpe which is good for out to

50 yds., .177 cal is good for nv shooting because of the flat trajectory .

atb brian

I, like you have a noisy permission. Mine's not gravel, just very stony arable land, so moving softly is nigh on impossible. A thermos flask and an early pitch in an ambush site is about the best way to go. If you've got good relationships with the owners, they may tolerate semi-permanent hide positions going up. Build them out of stuff that's around so they can be removed quickly should the need develop; it also won't look out of place or like an eye-sore.

you might have to change shooting positions every few weeks as the survivors will learn where the threat is coming from!

atb

Chris

Edited by chrisjpainter

I have the ns200 and used it last night to good effect. But it was moon lit so quite light.

All good suggestions brian and i will try and do something along those lines at the weekend. Cheers.

That's the way to go Shootingegg, I do most of my rabbit shooting at night

I was out last night with my hmr.17 rimfire with my NS-wolf on it in bright moonlight,

in a good ambush position near to a hedge in shadow so bagged x6, easy

shots out to 150 yds bunnies are mostly nocturnal feeders because its much safer

for them less predators around, apart from crafty humans with night vision gear!!!!

yes nv is the way to go ,so much fun as well!!!!

atb brian

ps, let us know how you get on!!1

• 2 weeks later...