Fac air maximum?

eddoakley

Would normally ask on airgun forum but sat in hospital and the forums are blocked!

I have an fac rapid in .20 cal

What would people suggest the is highest that it could be turned up and also what the optimum would be?

By optimum I mean sensible power without losing accuracy or to the point that I had just as well stick with an LR.

Tia

Edd

mine was 30ftlb but had 21" barrel and was fac stamped from factory. a lot of rapids start 12ftlb and get tuned to fac power. pretty much by changing springs and some are just butchered.

Don't have it with me but I think it was FAC from the factory.

Don't know much about FAC air or the alterations needed but this one has apparently been fettled by someone called kevg?

I think it's currently running about 20 ftlb.

Edd

Mid 20s with .20

An 11-12 grain pellet doing 950fps is around 24-25ftlb.

All my experience with several Fac airguns shows anymore and you start loosing accuracy.

And using gallons of air.

Increase pellet weight to stabilise and you get a more pronounced pellet trajectory.

It's a vicious circle.

Iv had a few Fac air rifles including an air ranger 80, that's 80ftlb in .25 and it did nothing my 35ftlb AR can't do.

900-950 fps with the most accurate pellet, I believe is the optimum for air.

Flat shooting, and still accurate

Go much above that and you generally lose performance.

There are exceptions to that rule, some work brilliantly at silly power.

I suppose it depends on your guns barrel.

Is yours a mk1 rapid? Iv heard of several mk1s that couldn't make 30ftlb in .22.

I had one that topped out at 27ftlb, that was set up by Kevg.

Kevg is very knowledgeable with Rapids.

Plenty of other people are too but Iv always been pleased with his work.

He makes the bits whilst you wait!

I'd be inclined to leave it as is.

Although it is interesting to experiment!

I used to have a theoben rapid running at 12ft lbs and i took it to Ben Taylor the bloke that invented it and he increased to 28ftlbs and he recommended that was the

highest it should go so it didn't spoil accuracy and was advised to use bisley magnums as they were a heavy pellet and would be more stable..

My BSA S10 runs at 38 ft lb, uses 18 grain Diablo field heavy pellets in 22 calibre , must admit I only get about 22/25 shots to a bottle , but it's a cracking piece of kit !

My BSA S10 runs at 38 ft lb, uses 18 grain Diablo field heavy pellets in 22 calibre , must admit I only get about 22/25 shots to a bottle , but it's a cracking piece of kit !

I Have a . 20 Mk2 Rapid and i have it running @ 925 fps so with 14.3 crossman prems it's about 27ft lb i am also using a 500cc bottle with a 22" barrel the exhaust valve has also been changed for a bucketboy type (this made the difference) i get 100+ full power shots

and .1/2" group @ 50 yards, but as soon as you crank the power up and the pellet speed gets past 975 fps the group open up to 2"+

i have 4 of these Rifles and they are fantastic if setup properly, but is hard to find an unbutchered one, that said 2 of mine are completely standard the MFR i have that i bought in 2003 has never been worked on and is still very reliable.

Your best source of info about Rapids is: http://rapid7ownersclub.com/ everything you need to is there.

Kev1gun

Agree with all the above regarding maximum fps. Ben Taylor upped my Mk.1 .22 rapid, 16"barrel, to 26fps and fit a regulator.Subsequently,Kevg reworked the reg and fit some of his magic parts and he confirmed that a 16 gram (JSB Exact) would give the best combination of flat trajectory,power and air efficiency.

Agree with all the above regarding maximum fps. Ben Taylor upped my Mk.1 .22 rapid, 16"barrel, to 26fps and fit a regulator.Subsequently,Kevg reworked the reg and fit some of his magic parts and he confirmed that a 16 gram (JSB Exact) would give the best combination of flat trajectory,power and air efficiency.

That confused me until I re read it.

I assume fps is foot pounds not feet per second in your post?

26 fps would be disappointing from a gat.

• 3 weeks later...

As a pellet approaches the speed of sound it can become unstable , and lose accuracy .

Its suck and see as to what the gun barrel likes as well.

My R10 FAC shoots AA 16g Diablo very accurately set at 30ft/lbs.

My previous Daystate FAC shot them just as well at 25ft/lbs .

The trajectory is just superb.

• 3 weeks later...