Early morning foxing

walshie

My lad and I had decided to go out very early yesterday after a few reynards. He was the shooter. I was lamp man.

3.45am we set off and arrived at the farm just before 4. It was a weird morning. There was a massive moon, but hidden behind really thick cloud which made the whole sky look like day was going to break any time, rather than 3 1/2 hours later. Even the birds were singing. Do you reckon they were fooled by this light sky? Or do they always do that but I can't hear them from under my duvet? hmm.gif

The first fox we saw sat staring at us, somehow knowing he was safe with the farmhouse directly behind him. We manoeuvred round so we could shoot parallel with the house instead of at it and the fox moved with us so he always had the house as a backstop. As I've said to my son before, the disappointment of not taking the shot is a lot better than the possibilities of taking an unsafe shot. We left him to it and went to the next field.

It was only a few minutes when we saw another fox. He was completely oblivious to us and the lamp and was walking from left to right in front of us at about 100 yards. Ben took aim, I squeaked to make the fox stop and the 223 spat its 53gr night-night pill. It was dead before it hit the ground. Perfect boiler room shot.

We saw a couple more but at ridiculous ranges, then another was sat watching us from the base of a hill with just its head visible. Bang! Right between the eyes.

About 10 minutes after that we saw eyeshine coming from a wooded area. Ben aimed, but the fox turned behind a tree just as he pulled the trigger. We waited a while but it didn't show itself again. We started heading back to the truck, and after a few paces I turned and had a quick shine with the lamp again. The fox had come out of the trees and was following us, but unluckily for him, he didn't have any trees between him and us. A few seconds later and the third fox of the morning bit the dust.

We walked a bit more, but nothing was around so we decided to head home for breakfast and medals. Two dog foxes and a vixen in a couple of hours. They were all in great condition with thick winter coats and not the scrawny little runts you see so much these days.

Ben was made up (I assume at having such a good lamp man). :whistling:

Well worth getting up at stupid o-clock. :good: