HW110 owners

safc1973

Looking at buying another PCP rifle and wondering what HW110 owners think of them. I am thinking of a .177 - it will mainly be used for target shooting up to 50 yards. Have considered other rifles but this one seems to fit my budget, has a good enough shot count and hopefully is reliable.

Hmmmmmmmm.

On paper they look like a winner. there are a few things you should be aware of. There are a LOT of problems being reported on the 110 owners FB page at the moment. They're wide ranging, but pretty consistent:

• almost immediately there was a recall on 400 guns for a barrel change (this is including the 100 as well). some threads weren't finished properly and some just couldn't shoot straight
  • Some were losing pressure due to faulty seals. My 110 went back for this within a month.
  • Some are showing a serious lack of power - down at 8-9ft/lb
  • Some are loose in the stock, no matter how tight the bolt was
  • Some are failing to cock, possibly a hammer fault.

Those last four are coming up pretty frequently on the fb page and they're needing to go back to Hull Cartridge for the fixes, which is a pain.

The magazine catch is also really fiddly. It's a cracking rifle when working in full order. It's got a great feel to it and, being a carbine length, it's very pointable. The shot count is fantastic.

Try one out. I think they're a bit of a marmite gun, because of that magazine catch. I really like mine, but I have a feeling it's about to go back again. the first was for the barrel recall and a leak, this time it's the failing to cock problem.

Hopefully that's of some help. any other questions give me a shout!

Edited by chrisjpainter

Blimey, what's the big struggle with producing reliable pcp's these days? All I ever read about is problems with just about every make an model.....always thought weihrach were ultra reliable!

I will try and justify it to an extent - here goes.

The HW110 is a bit of a move away from the traditional in many ways. They've ditched the standard metal block in favour of a polymer one to cut down weight. It's also a completely new gun inside. It's not a baby 100, it's an altogether new machine, (especially that block design and the regulator, which has been reworked to be even more consistent) so inevitably there will be teething troubles. The polymer block has had a huge impact on manufacturing costs, which is why it's comparatively cheap for the amount of gun you get. The barrels were just an unfortunate whoopsie and didn't only affect the 110, but all 100 models too.

How did I do? convinced?

Me neither. I happen to know that they've been planning the HW110 for a few years, and didn't want to release it until it was absolutely ready. But most of that time must have been spent on getting the new design of block right, because there's no way they could have done a proper job on everything else! It's had almost as many problems as the BSA R10 mk1 had! The saving grace is that each problem is being fixed; I'm not aware of any going back for the same fault more than once, it's just awkward if yours happens to go back five separate times for each fault!

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the odd problem with them but didnt realise there was that many. I had a shortlist of 3 to choose from - the 110, HW100 or BSA R10. Not many people seem to have a good word to say about the R10 and would prefer a side lever cocking anyway. the HW110 was favourite as it is the same length as the carbine HW100 but has the shot count of the normal rifle. It will be used a lot for freehand shooting so I dont want anything too heavy. Not really interested in any others - I had an AA S410 but it had a few problems and wouldnt get another. Daystate are too expensive. Think I will have another look at the HW100 - seem to be the favourite on any "What PCP" topics.

Hope you get yours sorted.

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the odd problem with them but didnt realise there was that many. I had a shortlist of 3 to choose from - the 110, HW100 or BSA R10. Not many people seem to have a good word to say about the R10 and would prefer a side lever cocking anyway. the HW110 was favourite as it is the same length as the carbine HW100 but has the shot count of the normal rifle. It will be used a lot for freehand shooting so I dont want anything too heavy. Not really interested in any others - I had an AA S410 but it had a few problems and wouldnt get another. Daystate are too expensive. Think I will have another look at the HW100 - seem to be the favourite on any "What PCP" topics.

Hope you get yours sorted.

The BSA R10 mk2 and the SE should be looked at, because they are now far more reliable than they ever were at the beginning! don't discount them too quickly and it sounds like they're more reliable than the 110 has been for me thus far. The gun shop has today issued a 'repair or preferably replace' note on mine - not great for a gun that's not yet 6 months old

The BSA R10 mk2 and the SE should be looked at, because they are now far more reliable than they ever were at the beginning! don't discount them too quickly and it sounds like they're more reliable than the 110 has been for me thus far. The gun shop has today issued a 'repair or preferably replace' note on mine - not great for a gun that's not yet 6 months old

Thats good to hear - that was the reason that put me off them. The R10 is the only one of the three I have actually shot before and I did like it - the bolt was much better than on my S410. In addition it has a very high shot count, adjustable butt pad and is better looking than the Weihrauchs. Not in a rush to buy one yet so will probably wait until the shooting show at Stoneleigh Park and try a few out.

Thats good to hear - that was the reason that put me off them. The R10 is the only one of the three I have actually shot before and I did like it - the bolt was much better than on my S410. In addition it has a very high shot count, adjustable butt pad and is better looking than the Weihrauchs. Not in a rush to buy one yet so will probably wait until the shooting show at Stoneleigh Park and try a few out.

Good man, put the groundwork in. The design of the R10 is second to none and it's so well balanced. It really is a joy to shoot, I had a mk2 which was fine for a while, but needed tuning and regulator replacement to get it up to where it should have been in the first place - in fact where the new ones are now. It's a much better looking gun and it's more easy to look after yourself. The HW range is a fiddle to do anything even as basic a seal change.

I've got the r10 super carbine in 177, it's a great gun straight from the box with an excellent shot count. The only problems are have are regarding the magazine indexing the pellets.

I've also got a HW100T in 177 and it is by far a superior gun, lower shot count and weight are its only down points for me.

What is happening in the Weihrauch organisation? First we had the middle sear problem on the HW100 variants, resolved by Weihrauch stopping sales of the £15 sear and sold only a complete trigger unit assembly at £115.

Now there are problems with a gun that was 4 years in design and presumably test.

Could it be that Weihauch are sub contracting manufacture of the sub assemblies somewhere overseas, maybe China or Turkey or ?? No matter, it does not excuse their poor (possibly non existent quality control procedures re the completed gun. Thing is they claim that German engineering is just about the best in the world. Not from where I am sitting and I speak as a quality assurance manager of 40 + years (retired).

Shame on you Mr Weihrauch, what would Henry W have to say???

Hope they read this and hang their heads with embarrassment.

BTW I do have a HW100 and apart from the middle trigger sear (now fixed for £25) I am perfectly happy with it.