Vehicle Insurance

steve_b_wales

I took out a new policy that starts on 1/1/17. I added my wife as a named driver, and got the price at £235:00, which I was happy with, as my insurer at present quoted my £317.

But, I mistakenly stated that my wife had no claims on her own insurance, but realised this morning that she made a claim back in July, after someone hit her car while parked up overnight. Her insurance paid £1200 for the repairs. After informing the insurance company about this claim, the price shot up by another £144:00 (£379:00 total) I told them that I wasn't going to proceed with the policy at that price. I asked them what would be the cost if my wife was taken off as a named driver, and the price went up by another £35:00. The insurance agent stated that I had a discount (£35:00) by adding another named driver. I said that I would have thought that as there would be two people allowed to drive to my vehicle, there would be twice the chance of an accident The agent said that 'It doesn't work that way'. In fairness, the agent suggested that I re-check the comparison website, and would cancel my policy/refund me, with no admin' charges.

As my new policy has not come into force yet, I re-checked the comparison website to see if I could get a better quote elsewhere. First I added my wife, with her previous claim, and the price went up to £313:00 (with the same company) and then with just myself driving the vehicle. The cheapest quote was £284, so I decided to take her name off my policy,and pay the £270.

I have always done better with insurance renewals by going straight to a company website to get a quote. The cheapest companies quoted on comparison websites tend to be outfits you have never heard of and who I wouldn't deal with anyway.

If you have had a renewal quote from your current company go onto their website as new business and you will nearly always get a lower, like for like, quote. Then phone your current company and point out the discrepancy and you will often be offered renewal at the new business quote.

Vic.

I have always done better with insurance renewals by going straight to a company website to get a quote. The cheapest companies quoted on comparison websites tend to be outfits you have never heard of and who I wouldn't deal with anyway.

If you have had a renewal quote from your current company go onto their website as new business and you will nearly always get a lower, like for like, quote. Then phone your current company and point out the discrepancy and you will often be offered renewal at the new business quote.

Vic.

I did this when I first got the quote. The price quoted was very little difference between the renewal quote I received in the post. After using a comparison website, I found a good quote from a reputable, well known insurance company, who, even when they added the extra £35, still worked out cheaper that the company I'm with at the moment.

What gets me, is that for no fault of her own (the car was parked up overnight) my wife's car was damaged, which has increased her premium, despite having protected no claims, and mine has also gone up because if I name her as an added driver, there's a premium added to my quoted price, and not including her has also cost me more..

Insurers just take the proverbial because some people are daft enough to fall for it.

The wife and I have a multi car policy which covers us both for both cars. The renewal coincided conveniently with us moving house (admittedly to an area slightly rougher around the edges) and I'd also had 3 points, so I was expecting the price to go up. it did, by almost £600.

I just said that wasn't good enough and that I'd insure elsewhere, and magically they were able to give us combined discounts of almost £500.

Obviously this "discount" was the real price, but if I'd been happy to pay the rest they'd certainly have been happy to rip me off!

Insurers just take the proverbial because some people are daft enough to fall for it.

The wife and I have a multi car policy which covers us both for both cars. The renewal coincided conveniently with us moving house (admittedly to an area slightly rougher around the edges) and I'd also had 3 points, so I was expecting the price to go up. it did, by almost £600.

I just said that wasn't good enough and that I'd insure elsewhere, and magically they were able to give us combined discounts of almost £500.

Obviously this "discount" was the real price, but if I'd been happy to pay the rest they'd certainly have been happy to rip me off!

I agree. Companies always quote a higher price, hoping that the person will accept it. Last year, when I had a renewal quote through the post, I checked online for the best price, and then contacted my insurance company. They matched the online quote, but this year, would not. My new insurance company (from 1/1/17) is offering more 'extras' including up to £1000 to replace my vehicle keys if they are lost/stolen, and for reprogramming my vehicle.