Stupid stupid cars

HDAV

Another point is years ago every now and then roads had lay-bys so that if one of your tyres was going down you may be able to pull off the road and change the wheel in relative safety this also gets me about mobile phones they say stop to use one but with all of the lay-bys done away with to stop the travelers using them what can you do.

Mind you unless you have a six foot extension to go on the wheel wrench after they have been put on by an air nut spinner you would be hard pushed to get the wheel nuts off anyway I needed a long extension just to get the spar wheel off the back door of my Jeep.

I stopped to help a young lady last year- same situation as this, massive split in side wall and no spare, just glue and a pump, that was no good in her case.

I sat with her for about half hour till AA turned up, on questioning him he told me its to do with taxation class and emissions.

The Toyota Rav4's were supplied without a spare on the 07" (?) onwards models (the models without the spare on the rear door) BUT, the salesman said due to the amount of complaints the new models now have a spacesaver spare (which also fits the earlier models!)

Our new rav has a full size spare in the boot not a space saver

Edited by mowdy

Our new rav has a full size spare in the boot not a space saver

Ah Ok. Thats strange. i was in the Toyota dealer a few months ago dropping the Rav4 off for a service and moaning about the lack of spare wheel. They informed me the new one had a space saver. I asked if it would fit ours. They didn't know but said they would try one during the service. When i picked the car up, they said it did fit and quoted me just over £200 for a new one. They also said that they could order me one, BUT would have to "hand" it to me and would not be allowed to "put" it in the car as it was not for that car. ( our dealer will also do a puncture repair FOC, to try to keep its "non spare wheel" customers happy!!)

I sat with her for about half hour till AA turned up, on questioning him he told me its to do with taxation class and emissions.

Well if the extra few kg of spare makes that much difference I can see their point, it is all to do with cost imo

Something I will be looking for in my own car is a spare

Yep heard that too , it's to save weight and get better fuel economy. Then they go and stick a great big adblue tank in, fit very heavy electric seats , loads of heavy electric gizmos etc etc.

Yep heard that too , it's to save weight and get better fuel economy. Then they go and stick a great big adblue tank in, fit very heavy electric seats , loads of heavy electric gizmos etc etc.

Bonkers isn't it? Creature comforts are clearly more important than essential spare parts like- a replacement wheel.

He did rumble on about post registration fitment of spare wheels not actually altering tax class, but he had such a mono tone voice - I had stopped listening by then 😏

Daughter's new Ford came with sealant!

I went on line got a new tyre on rim,Ford Jack and brace £40 delivered next day from a scrappy (think they take them from write off vehicles)Ford wanted best part of £200

SWMBO's Mini as supplied also only has sealant (and no "run flats"). Unfortunately, if I bought her a spare wheel she'd have no boot left for anything else!

I, too, have been told it's to keep weight and, therefore, emissions down. But, cynic that I am, I strongly suspect it's to keep profits up.

The other thing about a space saver is its only 'legal' to use it to recover the vehicle to a place of safety not to drive any distance on it. Insurance companies have strict rules on their use and what is and isn't covered. I don't think a lot of people realise the limitations because you do see cars driving round with them on.

I've had the pleasure of changing the wheel twice on my wife's Q7. A 2500kg car on a thin space saver that concertinas out as you inflate it. I'm standing there confused because it never reaches the same diameter as the cars giant wheels. Surely you can't drive on odd diameter wheels? Audi say you can, but very slowly and not further than 70 odd miles, great when you are 130 miles from home!

Unfortunatly its the way things go with new cars today.It saves the manfacture a fortune or makes the car dealer a fortune what ever way you look at it.Even cars with massive boots dont come with them.An the few that do use it as some sort of selling tool(like they are doing you a favour)

I dont know if this is true but,when this space saver milarki first came out.Ford said on a car with 0 emissions the tax was £0.If you got a spare or a space saver with jack ect you wouldnt be able to drive it off the forcourt with £0 tax.Apparently what they used to do to get round it was you ordered the spare plus jack ect.Then after taking the car initially you the called back for the spare.Maybe there might be a PW member that worked in the new car sales trade at the time can shed some light.

Edited by Davyo

Surely you can't drive on odd diameter wheels? Audi say you can, but very slowly and not further than 70 odd miles, great when you are 130 miles from home!

You can but it's only designed to get you to a garage or other facility to repair or Replace the damaged one on a 4x4 it may well play havoc with transmission made my previous cars speedo go all wonky took

I make sure of a space saver at the very least. Preferably a full tyre as a spare.

Those little cans don't do it for me and as said above a rip in the tyre becomes in fixable.

I also tend to carry jump leads,toe rope and triangle along with first aid kit as they take little room and are very handy.

I make sure of a space saver at the very least. Preferably a full tyre as a spare.

Those little cans don't do it for me and as said above a rip in the tyre becomes in fixable.

I also tend to carry jump leads,toe rope and triangle along with first aid kit as they take little room and are very handy.

Same here, together with a waterproof and warm kit. No way I'm sitting on the side of the motorway shivering!