21g cartridges

washerboy

I have been using the hull x comp 21g in plastic or fibre and I'm impressed with them as are many folks after reading posts on here and other clay shooting articles on the net.

My question is why then do folks still use 27/28g loads?

Is it just because the 21g don't cycle in some semi autos?

I'm not saying I will never shoot a 28g cartridge at clays again because I know that sometimes hull comp are out of stock and haven't seen them all at the clay ground I usually visit.

Registered English Sporting Competitions allow up to 28 gramme cartridges.

Years ago we were allowed up to 32 gramme and some disciplines allowed up to 36 gramme.

Until the CPSA change the rules and drop down a gramme or two shooters will continue to use the standard 28 gramme load.

21g comp x are a great shell and the softest recoil ou are going to find in a 12g.

They will kill consistently well to 50 yards with a bit of choke so for practice they are perfect.

28g more popular as it is the standard weight comp shell and has a higher pellet count. If you are just practicing leave the expensive stuff alone and stick with the 21s unless you want to start getting particularly competitive.

I also know of several Beretta 686 type guns, including the one that I had, that didn't reliable cycle the inertia block to set the second trigger using Comp-X in 21g. With me it was about 4 times with the first box of 25 I used. I swapped the remaining 225 for a different shell with someone who shot a Miroku MK60 and he had no problem with them.

So how would you go on shooting 30 or 32 all day on a pheasant drive or decoying when they were the standard? Either you are a 7 stone fellow or your mount or/and hold is wrong. Do you get bruised shoulder sore cheek/face and battered about fingers? If so get an see someone about the gun fit ect.

Edited by fortune

So how would you go on shooting 30 or 32 all day on a pheasant drive or decoying when they were the standard? Either you are a 7 stone fellow or your mount or/and hold is wrong. Do you get bruised shoulder sore cheek/face and battered about fingers? If so get an see someone about the gun fit ect.

Not always that simple and recoil has a strange effect on the human body, shooting 100 clays with hull super fast caused me real issues (all documented here somewhere....) but 24g Fblack are fine, never been on a day where I took 100+ shots at pheasant

Gun fit checked and changed by a very good stocker and instructor I just suffer issues with recoil several days later, been to drs and everything and the answer was stop shooting or or use a different cart.

shooting 100 clays with hull super fast caused me real issues (all documented here somewhere....) but 24g Fblack are fine, never been on a day where I took 100+ shots at pheasant

Sounds familiar, local gun club sold 'superfasts' and I had the similar problem in they were starting to cause me to flinch with my OU and mentioned this after shooting 5 boxes, shot the rest but then, like you i got a slab of fblack (sporting in my case) and they were very smooth and couldn't fault them.

Club official was looking for a sbs and tried mine with superfasts, 1/2 dozen shots and done, yet quite happy to use them in his OU.

Edited by Stonepark

Not always that simple and recoil has a strange effect on the human body, shooting 100 clays with hull super fast caused me real issues (all documented here somewhere....) but 24g Fblack are fine, never been on a day where I took 100+ shots at pheasant

Gun fit checked and changed by a very good stocker and instructor I just suffer issues with recoil several days later, been to drs and everything and the answer was stop shooting or or use a different cart.

I had the same problem with the original Kent velocity, nearly gave clay shooting up until someone advised me to use a lighter load cartridge and have my sxs fitted with a recoil pad.

Thanks to Paul T for sound advice

Sounds familiar, local gun club sold 'superfasts' and I had the similar problem in they were starting to cause me to flinch with my OU and mentioned this after shooting 5 boxes, shot the rest but then, like you i got a slab of fblack (sporting in my case) and they were very smooth and couldn't fault them.

Club official was looking for a sbs and tried mine with superfasts, 1/2 dozen shots and done, yet quite happy to use them in his OU.

There's nothing automatically wrong with superfasts through a SxS!

I wouldn't class myself as especially hardcore/macho, but my practice outings on the clays will typically see me shoot a slab of superfast through one. Never had an issue with them being too punchy - in fact I quite like the fact that, compared to the gentler 21g CompX I shoot through old guns, heavier loads don't come as a surprise when the game season comes around again.

What works for one won't necessarily work for all, and we're fortunate that there's lots of choice in the UK market so always worth experimenting until you find a load that works for you.

Well there is the CompX 28g, which is the one I shoot all the time now. Quite a bit lighter on the shoulder than superfast (and anything else I tried!), but with the same load or thereabout. And, these still fit in 2.5" chambers.

My wife is shooting these as well for the same 'game load training' reason, and has no problems -- while shooting a superfast had her jump 50cm backward on recoil ;-)

Edited by buze